Anybody Using A Ranco?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would caution you on running your delta at just 1/2 a degree, especially on an Apex power bar. That’s a lot of on/off switching cycles that could lead to quite an expensive power bar outlet failure. It’s precisely why we are running heater controllers on our Apex units.

I‘ve never quite understood the need for such a close delta when heating yet when we run chillers in the summer, it’s recommended to set a one or two degree delta to preserve the chiller compressor life due to less on/off cycling. Is is temperature consistency more important in the winter than the summer for some reason?

My point is that I think the very consistent 1 degree delta that the Ranco provides is more than enough temperature consistency wise for our reef tanks and the well being of our livestock.
I totally agree, that's why I'm looking into alternatives and loosening up my deadband on the Apex until then. Thanks for the feedback!!

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you using the Ranco, are you mounting it using the holes in the back of the controller? It's not a great setup, with 4 slotted holes, 2 of which (top 2) have an internal piece of plastic behind them that keeps the head of the screw from sliding into the "slot".

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5033.jpg

Look what I found in the toolbox!!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are mounted to the wall using the holes in the controller

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you ranco users. If the power goes out and comes back on I'm assuming it has a memory for the set temperature?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also curious for those using the Ranco are you using the NEMA 4X or standard housing and how have they been holding up? Makes me curious if the NEMA 4X is worth twice the price.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They retain their settings on a loss of power. All of mine are NEMA 4X. It is an industrial outdoor enclosure intended to keep moisture out of electronics. Unless you are placing it in a really humid environment it is probably not necessary.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back