What's y'alls method for cleaning RO/DI Barrel?

Dancingmad

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 13, 2016
Messages
741
Reaction score
1,283
Location
Houston
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Y'all,

I've got a 55g barrel - I've been using it for a decade. One of those blue foodstuffs barrels used for vinegar or soy sauce (probably...). It's got a hole at the top, mug sized, w/ a screen, and 2 bung holes (mid and bottom) for plumbing. Thinking it could probably use a clean. Toss in a couple cups of bleach then rinse it with the hose/power washer, then air dry is my current idea. How'd y'all do this? Is it even worth doing?
 
Skip the bleach I haven't rinsed mine in 6 years there is dead bacteria all over the bottom it's not hurting anything and I'm lazy.
 
Same here. 6 years no cleaning. If it ain’t broke….
 
I use water cooler jugs to store my RO/DI but they're always spotless. Even in past work, I don't think I've ever needed to clean an RO reservoir.

Bleach might work for some of it, but honestly I think a muriatic acid solution would do a better job. Just be sure to keep it away from metal while it's soaking. The fumes will rust things overnight. And of course wear PPE and use safe practices.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new