Anybody Using A Ranco?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thinking about picking up a Ranco to use in conjunction with my Apex. Anybody recently started using one? If so, is it worth it? What kind of temp swing do you see? Is the temp displayed accurate compared to other sources?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Ranco. I set it as my primary with the Apex as my backup. The 1 degree delta is spot on without any additional drift in my experience. Ranco temperature controllers are designed for commercial applications and last well over 10 years without issue.

Here is a recent thread on temperature controllers with lots of information about Rancos that you may find helpful...

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my Ranco. I set it as my primary with the Apex as my backup. The 1 degree delta is spot on without any additional drift in my experience. Ranco temperature controllers are designed for commercial applications and last well over 10 years without issue.

Here is a recent thread on temperature controllers with lots of information about Rancos that you may find helpful...

Thanks. With the probe shrink wrap installed is the wire still flexible? Trying to decide if i need 1 or 2 feet.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it’s still very flexible. I went with 2 feet but I think 1 foot would totally suffice.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Ranco. No problems, has been reliable for years. I wish that I'd spent the extra for a 2 stage one; now I have an InkBird for when I want to run a fan (I will need to get the heat shrink tubing set on the probe).

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You using the single stage version?
Yes? There is only one plug coming from them. I recently looked at the manual the controller itself and at the website and for the life of me can’t figure out which ones I got. I was tired of inkbird failures. I love the Rancos, get the plastic sheathing!

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been running the dual stage for I guess six years now. It was peviously used on my 210 that was lit with MH so I used the cooling stage to run fans for evaporative cooling and it worked quite well. My current system is all LED and needs no cooling so it simply runs my heaters. I might get a 3 day temp swing but my in house temp this time if year can go from 68 in the night and as high as 82 during the day so the tank can get a little higher than my set temp otherwise it keeps things usually within the 1 degree differential as I have it set now.
This is my second Ranco and first one actually failed about 5 years in as I recall. I had it mounted in my cabinet directly over my sump and corrosion eventually got the better of it. Lesson learned it it is now kept in a separate area free of any direct contact with the sump area and any associated humidity and saltwater.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i got around to getting the Ranco running. Heres what my Apex shows its doing with a set point of 79 and a 1 degree differential. Hows this look for the long term? I had my Apex keeping it at just shy of 1 degree min and max but it also had the ability to leave one heater running at a time which slowed down the temp falling back to the lower limit...
BDB34528-949F-4709-98AA-1C2CAAD06F49.png

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got around to getting the Ranco running. Heres what my Apex shows its doing with a set point of 79 and a 1 degree differential. Hows this look for the long term? I had my Apex keeping it at just shy of 1 degree min and max but it also had the ability to leave one heater running at a time which slowed down the temp falling back to the lower limit...
BDB34528-949F-4709-98AA-1C2CAAD06F49.png
I have been looking at doing the same thing (currently running apex with 2 Finex heaters staggered so one is primary and the second helps when the first can't keep up). Is the setpoint on the Ranco only in whole degrees? I would love to get a 2 stage and use both heaters, but staggered 1/2 degree apart. I've never had a good understanding on what "good" control would be. Right now I stay +/- 1/2 degF, but is that necessary or beneficial? I don't know. Thanks for the update on your findings!!

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been looking at doing the same thing (currently running apex with 2 Finex heaters staggered so one is primary and the second helps when the first can't keep up). Is the setpoint on the Ranco only in whole degrees? I would love to get a 2 stage and use both heaters, but staggered 1/2 degree apart. I've never had a good understanding on what "good" control would be. Right now I stay +/- 1/2 degF, but is that necessary or beneficial? I don't know. Thanks for the update on your findings!!
It is indeed in whole degrees. There is no way to change that. Also, the dual is really for a heat channel and a cooling channel. I suppose you could use it with the same setpoint but thats the same thing as the single wired up with two outlets like i did...

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed in whole degrees. There is no way to change that. Also, the dual is really for a heat channel and a cooling channel. I suppose you could use it with the same setpoint but thats the same thing as the single wired up with two outlets like i did...
Where did you order your Ranco from?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at them but they've been out of stock on the single stage for a couple weeks. Thanks for the info. Hope I didn't derail your thread. Are you happy with the results or where you asking for input on the temp falling fast?

Mine looks like this (Apex controlled) with a 1/2 deg window, on at 78.5, off at 79. I have my second heater come on at 78.3 and off at 78.8, but it hasn't been needed (still pretty warm here in Alabama)

Annotation 2020-12-13 175459.png

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at them but they've been out of stock on the single stage for a couple weeks. Thanks for the info. Hope I didn't derail your thread. Are you happy with the results or where you asking for input on the temp falling fast?

Mine looks like this (Apex controlled) with a 1/2 deg window, on at 78.5, off at 79. I have my second heater come on at 78.3 and off at 78.8, but it hasn't been needed (still pretty warm here in Alabama)

I would caution you on running your delta at just 1/2 a degree, especially on an Apex power bar. That’s a lot of on/off switching cycles that could lead to quite an expensive power bar outlet failure. It’s precisely why we are running heater controllers on our Apex units.

I‘ve never quite understood the need for such a close delta when heating yet when we run chillers in the summer, it’s recommended to set a one or two degree delta to preserve the chiller compressor life due to less on/off cycling. Is is temperature consistency more important in the winter than the summer for some reason?

My point is that I think the very consistent 1 degree delta that the Ranco provides is more than enough temperature consistency wise for our reef tanks and the well being of our livestock.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

That website said it was out of stock when i ordered and it showed up in like a week. Id say im happy with it so far but ive only used it a day now. I think if i had a 100w and a 75w heater id be better off than my two 100w heaters im using. Even a 50w and a 100w might be better suited or two 75w. I just didnt want to rely soley on my apex anymore. The eb832 is not cheap.
I ordered mine when they were out of stock and I received it in a week or so.
I would caution you on running your delta at just 1/2 a degree, especially on an Apex power bar. That’s a lot of on/off switching cycles that could lead to quite an expensive power bar outlet failure. It’s precisely why we are running heater controllers on our Apex units.
Same here with that site. I was pleased!
I‘ve never quite understood the need for such a close delta when heating yet when we run chillers in the summer, it’s recommended to set a one or two degree delta to preserve the chiller compressor life due to less on/off cycling. Is is temperature consistency more important in the winter than the summer for some reason?

My point is that I think the very consistent 1 degree delta that the Ranco provides is more than enough temperature consistency wise for our reef tanks and the well being of our livestock.
Yea, i think i agree soo far!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back