Anyone cleaning reusing roller fleece

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has a good system pf reusing/cleaning roller fleece.
I diy’ed a filter roller using a Klir d4 roll to fit as a drop in without modifying the sump of my Red Sea 250. It works great, but can’t justify buying $15 rolls of fleece that last maybe a couple weeks at a pop. I’m guessing someone has figured out how to get more life out of their fleece, so I would love to see some options before trying to build a clean out jig.

44956CBB-8595-4F6E-BD18-7CB2CC737F54.jpeg

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of anybody doing this. Great idea however not sure how it can work. Even getting it rolled back up would be a challenge. Interesting!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is you can soak them in 25% bleach and 75% water just like filter socks. Then roll them back onto another tub while washing with a garden hose reverse the original direction of water flow. Then soak in fresh water. Perhaps with some Prime to remove the bleach. Or air dry in the sun until there is no bleach smell. I would be concerned about removing all the bleach in the center of the roll.
You could probably rig up a motor to roll it to another roller while you wash it then reverse it to roll it the other way very slowly while it air dries in the sun. That should not be too hard as you already built the filter.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has a good system pf reusing/cleaning roller fleece.
I diy’ed a filter roller using a Klir d4 roll to fit as a drop in without modifying the sump of my Red Sea 250. It works great, but can’t justify buying $15 rolls of fleece that last maybe a couple weeks at a pop. I’m guessing someone has figured out how to get more life out of their fleece, so I would love to see some options before trying to build a clean out jig.

44956CBB-8595-4F6E-BD18-7CB2CC737F54.jpeg
The cost of replacement rolls is just part of running a roller mat.

Like replacing tyres on your car.

Can't imagine anyone being patient enough to reuse one.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose what @laverda posted will work(treat it like a filter sock), but I think the time to clean one would take away from the ease of using one.

Kind of defeats the purpose of running a filter roller. Instead iof cleaning a filter roll, think I would just go back to using filter socks.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going through fleece in only a few weeks, you may need a redesign. It should last a few months, typically.

The material isn't pliable like a sock, imho so I doubt you'd get too many washes and Id worry about how much bleach or any other chemical will stay in the fleece material.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a filter roller I'd definitely try cleaning the material but I'd use a pressure cleaner/pressure washer instead. I've been using this on my filter socks and it's quick and effective so it's the first thing I'd try if I had a filter roller.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you can wash the roll just like filter socks, without any issues.

I think the main issue is going to be rolling it back up and getting it to fit.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going through fleece in only a few weeks, you may need a redesign. It should last a few months, typically.

The material isn't pliable like a sock, imho so I doubt you'd get too many washes and Id worry about how much bleach or any other chemical will stay in the fleece material.
Single <4" roll is pretty small all things considered. It's the downside to the drop on variety.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to wash the roll in the washing machine. Then roll it back up (do it while watching TV). Probably specific to my Bubble Magus, but the material would get a little more flimsy, and instead of laying flat against the holes in the roller, the material would tend to get pushed through the outside holes. Once that happened, water would bypass through. So I stopped washing. Would have worked I think, if the holes in my roller weren't so close to the edge of the material.

OP
OP
Zwogle

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback, here is the idea for a washer I've been thinking about for a while. I made a quick mockup up that hopefully makes sense. Basically, just roll the fleece from one spool to another, then use a spray bar (hooked to a garden hose maybe) spraying the opposite side that traps the debris off. Keeping the distance in the middle to the same as the roll should hopefully get it to roll up evenly. We have well water here, so no worries about chlorine, but I'm guessing I'll need to soak it in some RODI to get rid of the tds present.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 8.15.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 8.15.22 PM.png
    674.3 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
Zwogle

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely could be a design issue, one thing I will try is change the relay timer, currently when the float is triggered it is set to run for 4 seconds, If I lower that by half it may help with longevity.

OP
OP
Zwogle

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost of replacement rolls is just part of running a roller mat.

Like replacing tyres on your car.

Can't imagine anyone being patient enough to reuse one.
Definitely understand this, just run into issues when Amazon is out, the added shipping cost from other vendors to Alaska can be a bit too much for me to justify.

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback, here is the idea for a washer I've been thinking about for a while. I made a quick mockup up that hopefully makes sense. Basically, just roll the fleece from one spool to another, then use a spray bar (hooked to a garden hose maybe) spraying the opposite side that traps the debris off. Keeping the distance in the middle to the same as the roll should hopefully get it to roll up evenly. We have well water here, so no worries about chlorine, but I'm guessing I'll need to soak it in some RODI to get rid of the tds present.

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Just seen your post about the fleece after doing a Google search.
Did you finish your idea? It sound like a good idea.

Back