Anyone else’s apex mysteriously reboot itself at 14:12:00 Mountain time today?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as I could not find anything that triggered it. No power issues at all, no network issues, no update that I could see, just a random reboot that shut everything down and back on for less than a minute at 14:12:00 mst (Arizona). I’m hoping it’s not a sign of things to come as I already had one memory failure replacement.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't appear that mine rebooted.
Random I guess. I have the accessory plug for power loss monitoring that’s on a separate circuit from my aquarium and there was no loss of power in the event log. Actually, nothing in the log except in the output log where all my devices switched on at 14:12:00. Fingers crossed it was a one time deal….. thanks for chiming in

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random I guess. I have the accessory plug for power loss monitoring that’s on a separate circuit from my aquarium and there was no loss of power in the event log. Actually, nothing in the log except in the output log where all my devices switched on at 14:12:00. Fingers crossed it was a one time deal….. thanks for chiming in
Every now and then my Apex will disconnect and when I go to view the online/offline log I find dozens of disconnects in the past 24 hours. It's almost always WiFi-related, ie: some of the shared IPs get dual assigned from my router or something. So I end up rebooting my router and WiFi setup and then all is good in the world again.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every now and then my Apex will disconnect and when I go to view the online/offline log I find dozens of disconnects in the past 24 hours. It's almost always WiFi-related, ie: some of the shared IPs get dual assigned from my router or something. So I end up rebooting my router and WiFi setup and then all is good in the world again.
Luckily this was an upgrade from a classic so it’s hardwired and has its own set ip address assigned in the router. I didn’t check that log though so I’m going to pull it up. I’d love to find the aha, that’s what it was, so I can stop thinking about it! Thanks again

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily this was an upgrade from a classic so it’s hardwired and has its own set ip address assigned in the router. I didn’t check that log though so I’m going to pull it up. I’d love to find the aha, that’s what it was, so I can stop thinking about it! Thanks again
Apex + hard wired ethernet.

NO reboot for me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I wish mine did- its now dead and I am ordering the new style one but leaving for vacation in hours and I have reverted to timers while gone and do have a very trusted reefer checking on tank/feeding daily

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious as I could not find anything that triggered it. No power issues at all, no network issues, no update that I could see, just a random reboot that shut everything down and back on for less than a minute at 14:12:00 mst (Arizona). I’m hoping it’s not a sign of things to come as I already had one memory failure replacement.
this IME can be an issue - of things to come. However, I have not clue whether my issues were common

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One fusion disconnect at 14:12, same time as the reboot. Router log shows it lost and reestablished connected at that time as well. Router log shows perfect uptime, and no other devices dropped out. I’m going to chalk it up as a solar flare or something ha

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish mine did- its now dead and I am ordering the new style one but leaving for vacation in hours and I have reverted to timers while gone and do have a very trusted reefer checking on tank/feeding daily
That’s a major bummer. My classic never once hiccuped over many years. I’ve only had this a3 since Xmas and it had a memory failure and was replaced under warranty. This wasn’t a big deal, but it’s worrisome as reprogramming is a major pita under normal circumstances, but I can’t see to read and use a screen reader and we’ll, it took my three solid days to program the a3 the first time, and a little less the second time, but I’m not wanting to do it a third time! I’m glad you have a trustworthy and knowledgeable person to look after things for you! That’s a major bonus!

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this IME can be an issue - of things to come. However, I have not clue whether my issues were common
Yeah I hope not. Had a classic for years with no issues. I figured the a3, which is seven years into production, would be solid as well. I reluctantly upgraded, but testing is very difficult for me and the trident has been amazing! I won a ton of points from brs around Xmas, which covered the trident plus six months of reagent so i figured it was time to bite the bullet. For what it’s worth, customer service has always been great for me and I’m not worried about that aspect. I am dreading having to program, which isn’t easy for me. I’m wondering if it’s possible to clone the internal sd card to keep a fully programmed spare at the ready? I’ve heard several stories now of repeated memory failures and it’s in my head. Kind a like my four year old, Gen 1, 750xxl, with a blemish in the seam exactly in the same spot as every seam failure online. RS assured me it was purely cosmetic within a couple months of purchasing it, but you know, it wears on you

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That’s a major bummer. My classic never once hiccuped over many years. I’ve only had this a3 since Xmas and it had a memory failure and was replaced under warranty. This wasn’t a big deal, but it’s worrisome as reprogramming is a major pita under normal circumstances, but I can’t see to read and use a screen reader and we’ll, it took my three solid days to program the a3 the first time, and a little less the second time, but I’m not wanting to do it a third time! I’m glad you have a trustworthy and knowledgeable person to look after things for you! That’s a major bonus!
My classic too never did any of this over 5 years and im about to acquire EB832 number 3. Ridiculous is mildly putting it

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has been my experience as well. 3 tank wipeouts. My classic also never hiccoughed. Good luck - Most people (as with most products) - have great luck with the Apex - I was not one of those. A surge suppressor - and the 'brain' measuring temp and pH was all I used - and never did any programming after the problems

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a new EBB for sale...
Apex offered me a unit at 50% which does not amount to 50%.
Is yours the new meanwell version?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Good question - IDK - how would I tell - it's about 2 years old. never used
They came out about 8 months ago with 2023 production date

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back