Anyone else had issues with a NYOS Quantum skimmer failure ?

OP
OP
KYnewbee42103

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yall are makin me sad jus got my 220
Hey buddy I wish you the best, and heck maybe you have a great experience and have no trouble I certainly hope so!! This post is only my experience, and I maybe I just got a bad one or I'm way off base? I just decided that I have had enough because this hobby is frustrating enough without equipment failures, and none of it is cheap for sure!

My new skimmer has lots of options I'm thrilled about, it is more expensive but in just the 2 weeks of operating it I'm super thrilled! BTW if anyone needs a NYOS 220 that is 6mos old here is the link to the classifieds lol!!!

OP
OP
KYnewbee42103

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Nyos 160 since August 2018. Running 24/7 without issue. I really can not complain. Lot of other good options out there too.
Good I am glad to hear it! I hope it keeps doing well for you! I think the larger you go with skimmers the more options you need and maybe that's my fault for not buying a skimmer with a comma in the price tag to begin with. I will say that after 6mos of use that I was not happy with the customer service for replacement parts, or how I was treated! So please be aware if your going to get a larger tank that requires a larger NYOS or heavy skimming! But if you like them I have a 220 for sale :)

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good I am glad to hear it! I hope it keeps doing well for you! I think the larger you go with skimmers the more options you need and maybe that's my fault for not buying a skimmer with a comma in the price tag to begin with. I will say that after 6mos of use that I was not happy with the customer service for replacement parts, or how I was treated! So please be aware if your going to get a larger tank that requires a larger NYOS or heavy skimming! But if you like them I have a 220 for sale :)
I see what you did there... How much?

OP
OP
KYnewbee42103

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you did there... How much?
LOL that's good! So you can read the classified link its a few replies up, and I have it listed on R2R classifieds for 5 bills as I had the skimmer cup lid painted to match my sump theme colors & has a brand new pump from NYOS with 3 hrs on it.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my Nyos 160! Had the Red Sea skimmer and it was no were near as good as the nyos. I honestly think it might be luck of the draw though because I had the nyos 120 and it was not the best lol probably like my Red Sea skimmer

OP
OP
KYnewbee42103

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Nyos 160! Had the Red Sea skimmer and it was no were near as good as the nyos. I honestly think it might be luck of the draw though because I had the nyos 120 and it was not the best lol probably like my Red Sea skimmer
That's great I hope it keeps performing for you! I'm now running an octo elite 220-s and I can say just in 2 weeks it is an amazing skimmer with cup level shut off sensors, pump power adjustments, and air/ water level adjustments. I can't risk my set up on luck of the draw though, that not a great endorsement for any skimmer. I think we are probably talking about apples and oranges at this point, as the skimmer I am running and was running is a much larger skimmer they have a collection cup bigger than the box most 160's come in.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nyos Quantum 220 skimmer only 6 months old. it has decided to no longer pull in air from the top air control knob unless you disconnect the tube and blow air into it manually (gross) lol then it will perform but still cannot be adjusted.

it’s Like a washer with too much soap put in it. The gate adjustment and air adjustment don’t help. Ive heard they are great skimmers and they are sending a replacement so good company!

I have also had issues with it self adjusting its air knob due to vibration. so maybe I just got a lemon but at $800 I’m wondering if I need to find an alternative skimmer. I absolutely hate replacing stuff in my sump cause I’m ocd about hiding wires and its a ton of work to redo the cosmetics.
I have the exact same issue with my 160, its really annoying. I noticed after a good cleaning it doesnt do it than eventually does it again :(. On my new upcoming build I purchased a ReefOcto 250-int to get away from NYOS.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually worse than the build is the horrible customer service.
Nyos is a German company they are distributed in the US through Ecotech Marine. From my experience I can agree entirely with you that the customer service is horrible. But that is on Ecotech not Nyos.

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos is a German company they are distributed in the US through Ecotech Marine. From my experience I can agree entirely with you that the customer service is horrible. But that is on Ecotech not Nyos.
Don’t agree at all. EcoTech has been great for the 8 + years I have dealt with them . NYOS ignores requests sent by EcoTech regarding status of an order . I waited 3 months for a skimmer part from NYOS, not EcoTech.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t agree at all. EcoTech has been great for the 8 + years I have dealt with them . NYOS ignores requests sent by EcoTech regarding status of an order . I waited 3 months for a skimmer part from NYOS, not EcoTech.
Fair enough @hbash We all have our own experience. Sounds like yours has been great. Here is an example of mine trying to replace a simple oring...
I have attached all of the included files sent with the request. Thanks @EcoTech.

Screenshot_20220125-194456_Chrome Beta.jpg

Screenshot_20220125-194543_Chrome Beta.jpg

Attachments

• Quantum_Skimmer_Manual_A5_DE_EN (1).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 39

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the smaller Nyos skimmer that I bought a few years ago. My build stalled due to some natural disasters, so I didn't get to use it for more than a month or so. After reading all of this, I may just get the old 15-year-old LifeReef down from the attic. :)

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the smaller Nyos skimmer that I bought a few years ago. My build stalled due to some natural disasters, so I didn't get to use it for more than a month or so. After reading all of this, I may just get the old 15-year-old LifeReef down from the attic. :)
My Nyos 160 is fantastic... The US bassed support leaves a bit to be desired. Professional procrastinator... lol that is too funny.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my nyos 220 back in 2016, still happy with it. Yes I did had overflow problems but it's not a big deal for me. I use it on my 500 gallon total system. Still from everything I got, lights pumps... this skimmer is the only thing that didn't brake on my in past 6 years.
So for me I'm happy with my nyos 220

ReefingIsMyTherapy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed mine 2 days ago. I was assured that it would be super silent and it has been anything except silent. It makes a very annoying humming that I just can't get rid of. Someone recommended to put the pump by itself in a separate container to see if the humming was coming from the pump and yes it is. Am I really that unlucky and only my 160 humms?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back