Anyone else had issues with a NYOS Quantum skimmer failure ?

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough @hbash We all have our own experience. Sounds like yours has been great. Here is an example of mine trying to replace a simple oring...
I have attached all of the included files sent with the request. Thanks @EcoTech.

Screenshot_20220125-194456_Chrome Beta.jpg

Screenshot_20220125-194543_Chrome Beta.jpg
You’re referring to problems with a NYOS part. As I said, NYOS is bad. If EcoTech doesn’t have a NYOS part … sounds like NYOS. My ONLY complaint with EcoTech as that they distribute NYOS crap.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re referring to problems with a NYOS part. As I said, NYOS is bad. If EcoTech doesn’t have a NYOS part … sounds like NYOS. My ONLY complaint with EcoTech as that they distribute NYOS crap.

Actually you said that the customer service wad horrible too; which is EcoTech.
Actually worse than the build is the horrible customer service.

And then you said that EcoTech was great.
Your issue claimed here is the delay on a part from Nyos. It would be interesting to see the correspondence showing Nyos ignoring request from EcoTech that is stated here.
Don’t agree at all. EcoTech has been great for the 8 + years I have dealt with them . NYOS ignores requests sent by EcoTech regarding status of an order . I waited 3 months for a skimmer part from NYOS, not EcoTech.
EcoTech did not even attempt to aquire my part from Nyos.

One bad oring after years of 24/7 hard use is not indicative of poor quality. I wouldn't fault any brand for that. The fact that the exclusive US distributor whom is also responsible for providing support to the end used of the product won't even acknowledge that the oring exists is my isse; and that falls on EcoTech.

Sorry that you have had such a bad experience with yours.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nyos 160 is fantastic... The US bassed support leaves a bit to be desired. Professional procrastinator... lol that is too funny.
Thanks for the positive response. I will give it a chance but cleaning up my LifeReef just in case. :)

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you said that the customer service wad horrible too; which is EcoTech.

And then you said that EcoTech was great.
Your issue claimed here is the delay on a part from Nyos. It would be interesting to see the correspondence showing Nyos ignoring request from EcoTech that is stated here.

EcoTech did not even attempt to aquire my part from Nyos.

One bad oring after years of 24/7 hard use is not indicative of poor quality. I wouldn't fault any brand for that. The fact that the exclusive US distributor whom is also responsible for providing support to the end used of the product won't even acknowledge that the oring exists is my isse; and that falls on EcoTech.

Sorry that you have had such a bad experience with yours.
I would never slam EcoTech support. In the many years I have dealt with them they have been stellar. Either you misunderstood my comment or I wasn’t clear. NYOS sucks and doesn’t supply needed parts in anything remotely near timely. As EcoTech relies on them for parts, whose service is defective?

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nyos Quantum 220 skimmer only 6 months old. it has decided to no longer pull in air from the top air control knob unless you disconnect the tube and blow air into it manually (gross) lol then it will perform but still cannot be adjusted.

it’s Like a washer with too much soap put in it. The gate adjustment and air adjustment don’t help. Ive heard they are great skimmers and they are sending a replacement so good company!

I have also had issues with it self adjusting its air knob due to vibration. so maybe I just got a lemon but at $800 I’m wondering if I need to find an alternative skimmer. I absolutely hate replacing stuff in my sump cause I’m ocd about hiding wires and its a ton of work to redo the cosmetics.
NYOS customer vice is the worst. Unless you’re in Germany, I expect your part to take months to arrive. My RedSea Skimmer is much better and not so pricy. Sell the NYOS on eBay and get the RedSea skimmer.

OP
OP
KYnewbee42103

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYOS customer vice is the worst. Unless you’re in Germany, I expect your part to take months to arrive. My RedSea Skimmer is much better and not so pricy. Sell the NYOS on eBay and get the RedSea skimmer.
I actually got a reef octo 220ss with auto shutoff and pump speed controller. It works great with apex and is way more forgiving about sump water level fluctuations. I have my NYOS on Ebay now. I installed the new pump first to make sure it worked but im going to let it be someone else's skimmer. Who knows they may never have an issue with it but my experience was no party for sure!!

garyfri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nyos 220 and can say it does the job. There is some questionable quality builds I feel that it works great. One of the bottom screws (holds motor bracket) stripped the plate. Did not affect performance. Then after a year of use I cranked down and broke the adjustment tube (somewhat my fault, but was surprised how easy it broke).

That being said echotech was awesome service. I did not do like the person did in the prior picture of "circling the piece needed". I actually provided them the part number from the nyos part manual (provided with purchase) and they shipped it out ASAP. And I was surprised how cheap it was to replace.

I have had good experiences with them and I am about to pair my 220 with a swabbie top and a skimmater locker. As the only complaints is I wish it held more skim.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nyos 220 and can say it does the job. There is some questionable quality builds I feel that it works great. One of the bottom screws (holds motor bracket) stripped the plate. Did not affect performance. Then after a year of use I cranked down and broke the adjustment tube (somewhat my fault, but was surprised how easy it broke).

That being said echotech was awesome service. I did not do like the person did in the prior picture of "circling the piece needed". I actually provided them the part number from the nyos part manual (provided with purchase) and they shipped it out ASAP. And I was surprised how cheap it was to replace.

I have had good experiences with them and I am about to pair my 220 with a swabbie top and a skimmater locker. As the only complaints is I wish it held more skim.
Unfortunately I could not provide a part number because one is not provided in the parts diagram.
I circled the o-ring because Ecotech claimed that it did not exist.
All in all mine has been great. I also use a swabbie (technically a vertex vectra engine but that is not available anymore) and it is fantastic. I run it for one minute, four times a day.

garyfri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I could not provide a part number because one is not provided in the parts diagram.
I circled the o-ring because Ecotech claimed that it did not exist.
All in all mine has been great. I also use a swabbie (technically a vertex vectra engine but that is not available anymore) and it is fantastic. I run it for one minute, four times a day.
Awesome. Yea sucks no number was assigned to that part. I wonder if that means it is included in #19 or #17. Mine was #6 so it was easy to just give them the part #. I had an overall good experience with it, but again might be easier due to having a part #.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back