IM 200 EXT

garyfri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IM 200 gallon gets here on the 27th. I will post pics of my build to this thread. I just want to start so far with the preliminary planning I have. Please let me know what you see wrong or advise you can give.
1. For the plumbing is it better to bend right under the cabinet or bring it lower just above the sump? The drain will be 1" to 1.5". The return will be a 1.25 outlet to two 3/4 return. I
2. IM website shows shift tubing and that is what I have drawn. Should I hard plumb it and why? Thank you in advance for all your ideas and critiques?

Inline image.png Sketch_tank.png

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the 100 EXT, idk if i should give advice on how to plumb it tho lol. i put my return in the last section of the sump and just did a T from there to both returns. i avoided doing flexible tubing except from the return to some pipe above it so i can service it from time to time. i'd suggest taking your time with the plumbing unless you're good at that sort of thing as i wasn't

have some tools ready to go tomorrow when the shippers drop it off, mine came in a pretty sturdy wooden box with metal clamps and stuff and don't sign for it until you give it a solid look. my first one ended up having a chip in it, either from shipping or my moving it so i had to eat it to get a new tank. the 200 EXT is stupid heavy IIRC so you'll want several buddies to help you out

OP
OP
G

garyfri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the 100 EXT, idk if i should give advice on how to plumb it tho lol. i put my return in the last section of the sump and just did a T from there to both returns. i avoided doing flexible tubing except from the return to some pipe above it so i can service it from time to time. i'd suggest taking your time with the plumbing unless you're good at that sort of thing as i wasn't

have some tools ready to go tomorrow when the shippers drop it off, mine came in a pretty sturdy wooden box with metal clamps and stuff and don't sign for it until you give it a solid look. my first one ended up having a chip in it, either from shipping or my moving it so i had to eat it to get a new tank. the 200 EXT is stupid heavy IIRC so you'll want several buddies to help you out
They tell me to inspect it if the driver will stay and any issues don't accept it. I was concerned because I have had large purchases before and the drivers don't want to wait. They told me to note that on the paper and they would work with me if any damages. Did you contact them with the chip and they refused to fix it?

I have never plumbed an aquarium before? Did you keep the standard 1 inch into the drain?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tell me to inspect it if the driver will stay and any issues don't accept it. I was concerned because I have had large purchases before and the drivers don't want to wait. They told me to note that on the paper and they would work with me if any damages. Did you contact them with the chip and they refused to fix it?

I have never plumbed an aquarium before? Did you keep the standard 1 inch into the drain?

well i didn't even try to unbox it when the driver was there. like you said i'd feel bad about him having to stay to unbox it, but if you sign for it you're done for if you find out later it had an issue.

to be totally fair to IM, i didn't notice the chip for like 2 weeks when i had moved it to my garage. they ended up giving me 20% off a new tank, so i can't hate on them for anything, it was on me.

i just did the 1" and my returns were 3/4". i'd say the biggest challenge was aiming all of the drain pipes right into the bubble diffuser pipe or whatever they're called. perhaps flexible tubing would've been better. but i was hellbent on using hard piping and having gate valves so i could control the flow and keep it quiet, my first tank plumbing was all flexible tubing and no valves of any kind so it had a definite annoying siphon noise sometimes

OP
OP
G

garyfri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank arrived on Friday, 1 day before the hurricane. Had to pay extra as they only do curbside drop off. Also IM requires you to inspect on the spot. Looked good. Had one spot were the black silicone was bedded to an end but nothing major. Was not able to inspect the bottom of the aquarium as has wood panels and wrote this on the sheet.

Ohh the driver did advise he if there was issues he was not going to load it back up as it was already open. Oh well.
IMG_20200727_195735.jpg
IMG_20200727_195817.jpg
IMG_20200727_195842.jpg
IMG_20200727_195849.jpg
IMG_20200727_195927.jpg

OP
OP
G

garyfri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built the stand today. The instructions were ok. Had to listen everything after assembly to get every square. It is pretty amazing how the stand (aluminum) is so light but will hold an aquarium. My custom sump from Blue Tide Acrylic is two weeks (or so) out. Ordering plumbing today. Got lights, pump, wavemakers, skimmer, sitting in my house next to my 75-gallon aquarium.vv
IMG_20200728_212238.jpg
IMG_20200728_212246.jpg
IMG_20200728_212359.jpg
IMG_20200728_212412.jpg
IMG_20200728_212448.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo excited for you!! I really like the aluminum stand over the waterbox or red sea one.

Is there a gap at the top of the overflow box? I am wondering if a wrasse could escape into the box at all.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank arrived on Friday, 1 day before the hurricane. Had to pay extra as they only do curbside drop off. Also IM requires you to inspect on the spot. Looked good. Had one spot were the black silicone was bedded to an end but nothing major. Was not able to inspect the bottom of the aquarium as has wood panels and wrote this on the sheet.

Ohh the driver did advise he if there was issues he was not going to load it back up as it was already open. Oh well.

Just in a cardboard box? The other pics I have seen it was in a wood crate.

LAChief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Garyfri, I hard plumbed my EXT with no issues. I think it looks cleaner that way as well!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow that thing looks awesome! i really like that they eurobraced it. i wish theyd eurobrace the 100 ext as well...

OP
OP
G

garyfri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo excited for you!! I really like the aluminum stand over the waterbox or red sea one.

Is there a gap at the top of the overflow box? I am wondering if a wrasse could escape into the box at all.
a gap? I will take pictures and see if that answers your question.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking like a great build!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back