Anyone else have trouble with Candy Cane ?

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulastraea or Candy Cane Coral. I have tried to grow this coral 2-3 times and never had any luck with it. I must admit my first two attempts were years ago on my first saltwater tanks and I was in way over my head. My current tank was not like that though, I took my time, planned, researched, and spared no expense with equipment. It’s definitely one of the least expensive pieces of coral and considered to be beginner friendly but that is where my curiosity starts with this post. The piece of Kryptonite Candy Cane coral died on me months back but I have still been thinking about it. It seemed to never thrive and hung on for months but finally shriveled up and died.

All other coral I have gotten has done well other than two attempts with birdsnest that I will admit were probably too early.

I test and do maintenance weekly and my parameters have never been super crazy off other than a battle with chrysophytes and high nutrients a few times.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lower third of tank away from sand bed under moderate light and water flow at 1.025 salinity
Temperature 77-79
Ph 8.2
Ca 400-440
Phosphate <.04

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower third of tank away from sand bed under moderate light and water flow at 1.025 salinity
Temperature 77-79
Ph 8.2
Ca 400-440
Phosphate <.04
I was on point with most of that other than maybe phosphate swings from time to time. The only other thing I can think of is I can never really rely on my ATO so I usually end up adding water when I see bubbles being pulled from my return, which of course would cause some sort of salinity swings.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine like being near the bottom of the tank and flow wise pretty gentle compared to everything else.

stumblinras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with mine at first but after a few months of struggling it slowly got better. I feel like it needed to get use to my tanks chemistry as opposed to where it was prior. Agree with vetteguy on lower third of tank and medium light and flow.

Back