Anyone enjoy woodworking?

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who keeps bees, he likes to say "don't Warre, bee happy'
Yeah I have seen some people use those Warre hives. I prefer insulated Layens framed hives because I think they mimic a big oak tree better. And I prefer the hands off approach. I got into beekeeping for FUN, not to go into their hive every other week. I like the long langstroth hives as well....no heavy lifting for either type of these hives. Well no heavy lifting once you set them in place. :)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I know this toy box I just made for my great granddaughter didn't take alot of skill, but I'm happy with it.
Her grandmother ( my daughter ) is going to girl it up a little with some stickers and such, and that's fine.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this toy box I just made for my great granddaughter didn't take alot of skill, but I'm happy with it.
Her grandmother ( my daughter ) is going to girl it up a little with some stickers and such, and that's fine.

Looks great...and what a treasure for your great-granddaughter.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys use to square up corners on 2x4s and such?

A jointer to get two faces square and then a planer and table saw for the other two. Otherwise, to take the edges off a 2x4, just knock them off with a table saw and call it a day!

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm currently tankless, I'm only left to share in this thread...lol. A new front door for the house just completed. Made of maple and constructed using stave core rails and stiles. The glass is impact glass since I live where I live. Glad to finally get this completed!

20201220_170252.jpg

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A jointer to get two faces square and then a planer and table saw for the other two. Otherwise, to take the edges off a 2x4, just knock them off with a table saw and call it a day!

Is there some type of clamp or jig as well for holding them together while you attach them?

U

User1

View Badges
Since I'm currently tankless, I'm only left to share in this thread...lol. A new front door for the house just completed. Made of maple and constructed using stave core rails and stiles. The glass is impact glass since I live where I live. Glad to finally get this completed!

20201220_170252.jpg

That looks great. Our house has a entry to it then a court yard. I've always wanted to make a heavy door / gate sort of thing and found the picture below. Your door color and wood reminded me to put this back at the top of my to-do list. However I have never made one before. I do a bit of work here and there but it is mostly turning pens and pencils. I am learning now how to do a vase :) Baby steps but boy was our high school vocational classes so long ago!

I figure I can increase the height of the gate and match the upper iron to a square below so our GSD can look out yet keep the wood and age look / feel still intact. Iron gate style hinges should also work. I think the example I found in the image below used alder (sp) wood although I have no idea what it is.

I know it is misleading but it looks like something I could make :) However, I know wood working and craftsmen/women have a lot of experience at this and make things look easy. But I figured it can't hurt to try using cheaper wood to start.

I don't know. Love your door though and it looks really great.

Edit for clarity: I have not made the gate/door yet. I would like to but too scared to try right now :D

1608669316500.png

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great. Our house has a entry to it then a court yard. I've always wanted to make a heavy door / gate sort of thing and found the picture below. Your door color and wood reminded me to put this back at the top of my to-do list. However I have never made one before. I do a bit of work here and there but it is mostly turning pens and pencils. I am learning now how to do a vase :) Baby steps but boy was our high school vocational classes so long ago!

I figure I can increase the height of the gate and match the upper iron to a square below so our GSD can look out yet keep the wood and age look / feel still intact. Iron gate style hinges should also work. I think the example I found in the image below used alder (sp) wood although I have no idea what it is.

I know it is misleading but it looks like something I could make :) However, I know wood working and craftsmen/women have a lot of experience at this and make things look easy. But I figured it can't hurt to try using cheaper wood to start.

I don't know. Love your door though and it looks really great.

Edit for clarity: I have not made the gate/door yet. I would like to but too scared to try right now :D

1608669316500.png

That's a great looking gate...you should go for it! If you're trying to match an existing wooden fence, and simply build a new gate, I would suggest staying with the existing wood species of the fence. If not, I would suggest using a nice clear cedar (go to your lumber yard not the orange or blue store - there is a difference). Cedar is very rot resistant and easy to finish, in either paint or stain.

More expensive options would be a white oak (not red oak), mahogany or teak. All beautiful and if protected well with a quality topcoat, will last a long time. If it's only a gate, materials are not overwhelming so the pricing difference may surprise you if you prefer one over the other. You could even look at some of the composite woods on the market now. Gone are the days of the white plastic looking "wood" as they've come along way in technology.

As tempting as it may seem, stay away from PT wood. It's way too wet (especially if bought at the two stores mentioned above) and will warp badly and be difficult to finish well.

Whatever you choose, protecting it well is a must. It's something you'll have to "maintain" so keep that in mind as well.

Just my random thoughts anyway...others will vary.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there some type of clamp or jig as well for holding them together while you attach them?

Many ways to join the boards, but in my opinion, the easiest (and probably one of the least expensive) would be to get yourself a biscuit joiner, as they are relatively inexpensive. As an example, and something I shared a many pages ago, this is a desk I threw together one weekend for my home office. It's made entirely of crap 2x4's from HD, with the exception of the crap 4x4's from HD for the feet. The top is seven 2x4's, biscuit joined together, including the angles at the corner. Clue them up, clamp them well, and let it dry.

20200314_111104.jpg

20200314_111247.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys use to square up corners on 2x4s and such?
When I’m making something with 2x4’s that needs to be square like a stand I run them all through the jointer and planer. Sure, you lose a little - they end up at 3 1/4 x 1 1/2 but you get much tighter, truer joints that way.

U

User1

View Badges
That's a great looking gate...you should go for it! If you're trying to match an existing wooden fence, and simply build a new gate, I would suggest staying with the existing wood species of the fence. If not, I would suggest using a nice clear cedar (go to your lumber yard not the orange or blue store - there is a difference). Cedar is very rot resistant and easy to finish, in either paint or stain.

More expensive options would be a white oak (not red oak), mahogany or teak. All beautiful and if protected well with a quality topcoat, will last a long time. If it's only a gate, materials are not overwhelming so the pricing difference may surprise you if you prefer one over the other. You could even look at some of the composite woods on the market now. Gone are the days of the white plastic looking "wood" as they've come along way in technology.

As tempting as it may seem, stay away from PT wood. It's way too wet (especially if bought at the two stores mentioned above) and will warp badly and be difficult to finish well.

Whatever you choose, protecting it well is a must. It's something you'll have to "maintain" so keep that in mind as well.

Just my random thoughts anyway...others will vary.

Thank you for the valuable tips. Really. Appreciate it to include the wood.

Actually, there is no wood :) Just painted stucco cement walls. As you walk up to the steps to our house there is sort of an covered entry way that basically you walk through. One side is a bedroom the other garage wall if that makes sense. Then you enter to a 14 x 14 court yard that was planted but I've since had stamp cement put in place. Few Japanese maples, small table, chairs, and plants. It is nice to sit out side.

The example of the gate I thought would fit in since the style of the court yard and home is that American Tuscan type neighbourhood. Was going to go with wrought iron but I like the idea of half privacy and I like the wood aspect. It can look somewhat weathered but as you point out - maintained or protected.

Also on the wood I just checked - I do have a dedicated "wood" store near by. Not far at all. I called and to quote him over the phone - don't worry he said. If we don't have it we can get it :) I do believe I am going to try. In fact may just buy a sheet or two of plywood and 2x4's to practice and if it looks good I can use it as a template maybe.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a cabinet maker by trade so I kinda feel like I’m cheating lol. I have my own shop where I mostly focus on kitchens nowadays but I’ve built tons of furniture as well. Here’s a few of my favorite kitchens. I build everything myself too. I also build tanks out of acrylic. Pic shows a diamond shaped one and stand I built. If any of you watch YouTube you may have stumbled across one of my videos I’ve uploaded of homemade wood working tools I’ve made. Under Wooden Tool Man.

49121D73-35D2-4EDF-9A01-E4A47982BE44.jpeg 59DF0393-443E-4DB0-BE19-FDEC6C626F27.jpeg BC18ADB0-74B0-44A1-93EB-4B42EC0C3018.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back