Anyone enjoy woodworking?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an hour south on I-75 from you. I'm sure it will move a little but the method of construction should limit it...he says hoping and praying. :cool:
Well, fingers crossed! I have lost faith in humidity in Florida sparing anything. (yet, so many people leave all the doors and windows in their homes wide open and wonder why the cabinet doors warp - SMH)
It is such a pretty door - incredible workmanship.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Nice! At 400 it should be really smooth... you want it smoother than glass? You could break out the buffer and polish it.

If the grain is still not filled enough to your liking, you could try a a “high-fill clear“. This will fill the valleys in the grain more and give a really smooth surface. Try it on scrap first to make sure you like the look. You’ll have to sand more of course.

With satin I like to do the first coats in clear gloss and the LAST coat satin. Gives it depth and looks less murky.
Thanks, I'll remember that.

What I ended up doing is after the 3rd coat, there were still dust/air bubble bumps. Not alot, but still they were there.
So I took a soft sanding block and used 500 grit and very lightly knocked down the bumps.
Then I took the soft sanding block and used 0000 steel wool and soapy water to polish out the marks left by the sand paper.
Actually turn out pretty good. I was prepared to use some wax polish and a electric buffer, but it wasn't needed.
The finish turned out matching the kitchen cabinets which was my goal.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built to try to sell a mid century modern inspired coffee table with a floating top. Made from walnut and finished with Odie's Oil. wcowf2ht6cd61.jpg u3wcc17t6cd61.jpg

That's beautiful...really nicely done.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple pics of the custom stand I built for my tank. Worked in a cabinet shop in the early 90s as a door maker, so all of the work is my own hand.

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

There is some water damage on the top now, but after 30 years, it still looks good and solid as a rock.

Cheers,
Steve

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little coffee table I built when the lockdown first happened. Wanted to try something easy, now I just need real tools :)
That is so pretty but I would like it even better if there was a built in tank ?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suck. Really need to take a class. Been doing some but nothing furniture grade.

Back