Anyone ever own a Nectria genus starfish?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up late tonight just doing some research and I ran across the Nectria genus of starfish which are absolutely beautiful! Of course I've got my hands full as far as starfish are concerned right now, but curious if anyone has ever been lucky enough to be able to try keeping one of these stars. They're vivid and look similar to Fromia stars but pastel colors and are endemic to Australian waters which is why I'm curious if anyone has ever run across one.
16606680970718831853034280034048.jpg
16606682497311284245370341043165.jpg

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up late tonight just doing some research and I ran across the Nectria genus of starfish which are absolutely beautiful! Of course I've got my hands full as far as starfish are concerned right now, but curious if anyone has ever been lucky enough to be able to try keeping one of these stars. They're vivid and look similar to Fromia stars but pastel colors and are endemic to Australian waters which is why I'm curious if anyone has ever run across one.
16606680970718831853034280034048.jpg
16606682497311284245370341043165.jpg
Surprisingly I have kept one. It was very!!!!!!!! Difficult to keep very!!!!!! Difficult. I kept one alive for about 3 years and that was me feeding him film algae every day since I got him. I made these little balls that were basically zooplankton mixed with film algae.I would not recommend keeping them.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly I have kept one. It was very!!!!!!!! Difficult to keep very!!!!!! Difficult. I kept one alive for about 3 years and that was me feeding him film algae every day since I got him. I made these little balls that were basically zooplankton mixed with film algae.I would not recommend keeping them.
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend most starfish for most people unless they're really willing to put in the research and extra work required for their care! I'm currently doing work studying Fromia starfish which is why I was up doing research and ran into a couple pics of these guys...I'm currently doing am observational study of three Fromia species and later plan to do a nutritional study, both of which I'm excited about!

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend most starfish for most people unless they're really willing to put in the research and extra work required for their care! I'm currently doing work studying Fromia starfish which is why I was up doing research and ran into a couple pics of these guys...I'm currently doing am observational study of three Fromia species and later plan to do a nutritional study, both of which I'm excited about!
Good luck!!!!!!! Keep me updated!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!!!!!!! Keep me updated!
Feel free to follow along! I update fairly often even though I just got started and am always happy to discuss anything about the study or anything at all related!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, did your Nectria star like to climb the glass in your tank to the surface? Also what kind of filtration did you have?... trying to piece something together...

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, did your Nectria star like to climb the glass in your tank to the surface? Also what kind of filtration did you have?... trying to piece something together...
He rarely climbed the glass and he didn’t really go very far I think he had a hard time climbing it. Now he loved the rockwork and sand. Filtration was just a in tank sump with a refugium.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back