Anyone ever use Brightwell bio blocks?

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had a couple bio block in my sump for about awhile now. I don't have them for the added filtration in my current display. I got them for the purpose of quickly setting up a QT tank whenever needed. They are rated for up to 50 gallons. I was just going to take both of them and toss them in my 40 gallon qt. My question is: have any of you used these or know if that makes the tank instantly ready to throw some fish in there? It should be the same thing as a tank transfer right?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound principle. But "instantly" depends - it'll definitely be possible to have a much quicker start for a hospital, QT, segregation or just new tank for a reasonable amount of fish. I keep a 1L bag of pond matrix in sump for same reason. After a few months, I could set up a 20 gallon with one fish without issue on free ammonia by putting some of my media in the HOB filter. You can overload tank still (but you can on any established tank), it's not a magic block but it will give you a very quick start for a reasonable amount of fish so ammonia isn't a concern.

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound principle. But "instantly" depends - it'll definitely be possible to have a much quicker start for a hospital, QT, segregation or just new tank for a reasonable amount of fish. I keep a 1L bag of pond matrix in sump for same reason. After a few months, I could set up a 20 gallon with one fish without issue on free ammonia by putting some of my media in the HOB filter. You can overload tank still (but you can on any established tank), it's not a magic block but it will give you a very quick start for a reasonable amount of fish so ammonia isn't a concern.
Yeah it's for a single foxface. Nothing else will be in there

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us about your experience. I wanted to add some, but heard in several reviews that they tend to desintegrate after a while when you try to move them.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us about your experience. I wanted to add some, but heard in several reviews that they tend to desintegrate after a while when you try to move them.
I heard about that. My understanding is that was a small batch, and the issue has been entirely corrected. I've had great luck with mine, and Brightwell products in general.

hanslanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard about that. My understanding is that was a small batch, and the issue has been entirely corrected. I've had great luck with mine, and Brightwell products in general.

I just had a block disintegrate in my sump. Not happy about it. Not first time I've heard of this. If it was a batch issue, I'd like some more information from Brightwell about if that's true or not, and exactly what contributed to the batch issue, and how they solved it. At least before I consider their product again.

I just made an entire post about it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back