Anyone get tired of every piece of reef equipment being wifi ?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone find it frustrating having multiple apps for all the different reefing equipment ? Literally need to upgrade to a different router to support everything. Minus a monitor apex to keep an eye while away. I feel like I'm just waiting for one of them to fall out the network and crash my tank aswell lol .
Happened to me… outlet failed, the router that was connected to a different outlet went out, everything went off line and I lost my whole tank. I just bought a wave maker thats not wifi at all and I LOVE IT

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluetooth is even worse. You control with an app but you have to be home to do it. Rather pointless IMO. I have wifi powerheads and lights. Returns and heaters are non wifi. I rarely travel but if I did the last thing I want is to have a controller where I could watch the tank failing and be able to do nothing. I'd rather get the surprise when I get home, at least the trip wouldn't be spoiled by being aware everything is dying. I suppose it would be different if I had someone I could have go over but I don't so I choose ignorance is bliss.

The solution is a WiFi Bluetooth bridge.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new wavemaker?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When folks say Wi-Fi, do you mean wireless or any kind of internet connection? I use Ethernet whenever I can. My Radion G4 are connected wirelessly to a ReefLink but I never have to anything. Programmed them 7 years ago when I first bought them, not touched since. Vortech is connect through a WXM, but mostly no touch there either. Tablet connects to the apex with no issues. Everything else is old school.

OP
OP
L

loyalsockreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When folks say Wi-Fi, do you mean wireless or any kind of internet connection? I use Ethernet whenever I can. My Radion G4 are connected wirelessly to a ReefLink but I never have to anything. Programmed them 7 years ago when I first bought them, not touched since. Vortech is connect through a WXM, but mostly no touch there either. Tablet connects to the apex with no issues. Everything else is old school.
I'd say all of the connections type, like I said besides the monitor of choice. It's nice just turn things on and off, maybe tapping a button to make an adjustment, while enjoying the tank vs always needing to be on my phone, trying to get **** to connect instead of enjoying my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back