Anyone get tired of every piece of reef equipment being wifi ?

loyalsockreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone find it frustrating having multiple apps for all the different reefing equipment ? Literally need to upgrade to a different router to support everything. Minus a monitor apex to keep an eye while away. I feel like I'm just waiting for one of them to fall out the network and crash my tank aswell lol .

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it's annoying! At this point I prefer to just set the equipment how I want it, then just use a smart powerstrip to control everything.... Having various different apps is super annoying, and I don't want to be tied to a single brand (like red sea) for everything just to have app consolidation. I also love equipment that still have tactile controls, like kessil H80 LEDs.

I've been quite happy with these power strips, app is super easy to use, I run 3 tanks with these..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone find it frustrating having multiple apps for all the different reefing equipment ? Literally need to upgrade to a different router to support everything. Minus a monitor apex to keep an eye while away. I feel like I'm just waiting for one of them to fall out the network and crash my tank aswell lol .

Well, if you want Joe Hacker in Russia to be able to control your pumps, then you must make some sacrifices, and having a bunch of apps is a small price to pay for that benefit!

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, needed to replace the PSK1200 in my Eshopps S300 skimmer and had the hardest time tracking down the basic skimmer. I don't want the controllable SDC version. I just want the basic plug it in and turn it on version.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean. :grinning-squinting-face:
But there are many non wifi options out there. They may not be the popular brands or choices, but they do exist. High end equipment is going to go with the bells and whistles to sell more stock.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WIFI controls are the extension of mans basic instincts towards tyranny. They allow us to control our reefs from work and while on vacation in the remote areas of the world. The tyrants are one power outage or router glitch from being deposed.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluetooth is even worse. You control with an app but you have to be home to do it. Rather pointless IMO. I have wifi powerheads and lights. Returns and heaters are non wifi. I rarely travel but if I did the last thing I want is to have a controller where I could watch the tank failing and be able to do nothing. I'd rather get the surprise when I get home, at least the trip wouldn't be spoiled by being aware everything is dying. I suppose it would be different if I had someone I could have go over but I don't so I choose ignorance is bliss.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluetooth is even worse. You control with an app but you have to be home to do it.
Bluetooth for initial setup of the lighting schedule on an expensive programmable light? Yes please.

Really the problem isn't that they all have apps. The problem is that they all have their own apps. I would much prefer a controller (apex, neptune, whatever) acted as a router and all these devices connected to it, and then I could control everything from ONE SINGLE APP. But half of them aren't compatible with anything else and the other half insist on being their own dang router.

OP
OP
L

loyalsockreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I avoid all WiFi Aquarium Equipment, and my Aquariums do fine without it. Temperature Alert, Flood Detection, and Alarm on GFCI, all are on local alarm devices .
This is a nice idea with the gfi!

Leviton GFTA1-W SmartlockPro Self-Test Slim GFCI with Audible Trip Alert, Wallplate Included, 15 Amp, White. Only Brand I trust on these.​

Thanks

OP
OP
L

loyalsockreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluetooth is even worse. You control with an app but you have to be home to do it. Rather pointless IMO. I have wifi powerheads and lights. Returns and heaters are non wifi. I rarely travel but if I did the last thing I want is to have a controller where I could watch the tank failing and be able to do nothing. I'd rather get the surprise when I get home, at least the trip wouldn't be spoiled by being aware everything is dying. I suppose it would be different if I had someone I could have go over but I don't so I choose ignorance is bliss.
Soild point !

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who does product support for reefing customers WiFi can be really annoying, but I do like my aquarium controllers for monitoring. The sad thing is many manufacturers are adding WiFi because it is cheaper. It is easier and cheaper to add a WiFi or Bluetooth chip into a device than to create a screen with buttons capable of controlling a modern light or pump. For me, the sweet spot is devices like the Tunze Streams and Octopus VarioS Pumps and small Kessil lights that have a basic controller with a 0-10v control option. This way you don't have to have the unit app-controlled but if you want to control the device it is compatible with a wide range of controller options.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Hey, look kids...we can watch the fish dying from the other side of the country through my apex cam! Yay!"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back