anyone getting the new ford F 150 truck as a battery back up for there reef tank?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just went down a rabbit hole on the old enterwebbz...

the new ford f150 lighting can charge you house in case of a power outage of course there is more equipment to buy but if you are a truck guy its a col option as a emergency back up.
they say it can power your house for 3 days just with the "essentials" so if should keep the heat and flow on your reef tank for a day or so?

IDK just thought it was a cool think from ford to offer this. I am more of a toyota guy myself but gotta say i am impressed with the new EV f 150 even more so it could help safe your reef!

will I be buying one. nah maybe in a few years but if someone was gonna gift me one heck yes!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sticking with the child sized hamster wheel that I have hooked up to a motor/generator. When one kid gets tired you just swap them out for a fresh one. They can last well over three days on a couple peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. The F-150 will probably be cheaper in the long run though.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current F150 Hybrid has a generator built in, I've the 7.2kW version it switches between batteries and fuel, can power up a house for I think they tested up 7 days.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current F150 Hybrid has a generator built in, I've the 7.2kW version it switches between batteries and fuel, can power up a house for I think they tested up 7 days.

How many generators can you buy for $70K?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.5KW won't power my house would be the problem. It will power the fridges and basic appliances but not the well pump and 2 water heaters. Not to mention my soon-to-be-deployed +500W worth of halide/T5 lighting. :D

I'm also a bigger fan of hydrogen-powered vehicles than 'electric'.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. 20 kW standby generator keeps everything going, including the AC.

as long as we’ve got natural gas coming to the house, we’ve got power.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Nope. 20 kW standby generator keeps everything going, including the AC.

as long as we’ve got natural gas coming to the house, we’ve got power.

I only get 100A service from ConEd so a 10-12kW generator would be sufficient in my scenario.

I have 2 Honda generators, which should cover me for everything except A/C.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

the new ford f150 lighting can charge you house in case of a power outage of course there is more equipment to buy but if you are a truck guy its a col option as a emergency back up.
they say it can power your house for 3 days just with the "essentials" so if should keep the heat and flow on your reef tank for a day or so?

IDK just thought it was a cool think from ford to offer this. I am more of a toyota guy myself but gotta say i am impressed with the new EV f 150 even more so it could help safe your reef!

will I be buying one. nah maybe in a few years but if someone was gonna gift me one heck yes!

Define essentials.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, it’s an awesome idea. But how often are you home with your truck when then power goes out? If you’re on vacation, and took an Uber to the airport, leaving the truck connected…great. If you took a weekend getaway in the truck…not so great.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the power is out for over three days and now your truck is dead from powering your freezer and return pump, how do you drive anywhere?

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many generators can you buy for $70K?
The generator portion was $750 add-on I wanted the truck for its much better MPG as I had a v8 Hemi beforehand that I was getting 12mpg now I get 22-25mpg. I bought the truck for the truck aspect the generator was a bonus, so I don't get your point.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The generator portion was $750 add-on I wanted the truck for its much better MPG as I had a v8 Hemi beforehand that I was getting 12mpg now I get 22-25mpg. So I don't get your point.
Sorry... I didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess I should have put a smiley face or an LOL at the end. :)

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Added bonus if you get a "smart home battery" it can sell your surplus saved energy back to the grid during peak hours as well.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one comes with a built in reef tank

Attachments

• ECCC3571-6BDF-4039-851B-5412BA73F50B.png
    ECCC3571-6BDF-4039-851B-5412BA73F50B.png
    372.8 KB · Views: 27

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added bonus if you get a "smart home battery" it can sell your surplus saved energy back to the grid during peak hours as well.
I’ve always wanted to know how that surplus of 220 volts ac goes backward through a transformer and back to the grid. Sure it can go to the few houses around you that are on the same transformer. What happens when all your neighbors have solar or smart batteries? Where does that surplus go? Around here, the power company charges you $75 a month for the privilege of connecting a grid tied system…..greedy jerks!

edit.. oh wait, I just googled it and they had to repeal that fee at the beginning of the year as it was discriminatory! I guess I can think about solar again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted to know how that surplus of 220 volts ac goes backward through a transformer and back to the grid. Sure it can go to the few houses around you that are on the same transformer. What happens when all your neighbors have solar or smart batteries? Where does that surplus go? Around here, the power company charges you $75 a month for the privilege of connecting a grid tied system…..greedy jerks!

edit.. oh wait, I just googled it and they had to repeal that fee at the beginning of the year as it was discriminatory! I guess I can think about solar again!

WE looked in to solar last year when they had the tax credit. in theory it's a great idea but I think it would be 10+ years just to break even. by then the solar when need to be upgraded so either your paying the solar company or the electric company.
IDK we love the idea of being off grid maybe some day when solar get a bit better.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 46.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back