anyone getting the new ford F 150 truck as a battery back up for there reef tank?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the power is out for over three days and now your truck is dead from powering your freezer and return pump, how do you drive anywhere?
well hopefully the power comes back on. I think this would be just one part of the over all back up system.
mostly just posted this as a joke but hey we have all seen ppl running the tank from a car in an emergency.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted to know how that surplus of 220 volts ac goes backward through a transformer and back to the grid. Sure it can go to the few houses around you that are on the same transformer. What happens when all your neighbors have solar or smart batteries? Where does that surplus go? Around here, the power company charges you $75 a month for the privilege of connecting a grid tied system…..greedy jerks!

edit.. oh wait, I just googled it and they had to repeal that fee at the beginning of the year as it was discriminatory! I guess I can think about solar again!
Some states if a county reaches its solar quota (thanks energy company lobbying) and a particular number of homes already have solar and are hooked to the grid you not even legally allowed to hook you panels to an on grid system so problem solved for that scenario.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some states if a county reaches its solar quota (thanks energy company lobbying) and a particular number of homes already have solar and are hooked to the grid you not even legally allowed to hook you panels to an on grid system so problem solved for that scenario.
Greedy jerks! Takes away part of the incentive of doing it. Its crazy expensive to go solar smart battery without the incentives.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in January we had a massive wet Snow Storm. Lost power for 18 hours. My 12 volt Battery kept some backup pumps running. Blankets over the Aquarium, hot water bottles when the temperature dropped. I have a friend, “Electrician“ lost power for 36 plus hours. Ran his gas furnace, off his Ford Lightening. When the Battery got low, he drove it over to a free working charging station. He is presently installing a Ground Mount Solar system. BTW he drove from Maryland to Minnesota, in Early May, in that truck. Three days out two days back, which I find is incredible. Spent Zero, on Charging, except at his house.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current F150 Hybrid has a generator built in, I've the 7.2kW version it switches between batteries and fuel, can power up a house for I think they tested up 7 days.

Unfortunately, that's not going to power my house. You're better served by buying a generator or serious UPS system with an Apex or something to start powering down items in the event of power failure.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F150 owner here. Yep my truck has built in generator .... I can easily run my tank by just running a long extension cord.

All cars can be turned into generators with a plug-in inverter. I don't know why more people don't have one around for backup/emergency purposes.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not supposed to, lol. Essential, nothing more...
A/C and the tools for what I do is pretty essential. 7kW would power and up/down A/C unit. Nothing more and communications would be reduced to mobile devices. I know Ford Lightning owners are pretty proud and should be, but the generator feature was not enough to get me to buy one. Plus the constant add-on random fees for paying cash... no way. That was at three different dealers.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived on the Florida gulf coast for 20+ years. Only way to go is a whole house 24 K generator. Only problem is all the neighbors bringing their frozen food over when the hurricanes hit.
Same here in SE NC. I have a whole house unit. Everyone comes over when the power goes out. :expressionless-face:

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just went down a rabbit hole on the old enterwebbz...

the new ford f150 lighting can charge you house in case of a power outage of course there is more equipment to buy but if you are a truck guy its a col option as a emergency back up.
they say it can power your house for 3 days just with the "essentials" so if should keep the heat and flow on your reef tank for a day or so?

IDK just thought it was a cool think from ford to offer this. I am more of a toyota guy myself but gotta say i am impressed with the new EV f 150 even more so it could help safe your reef!

will I be buying one. nah maybe in a few years but if someone was gonna gift me one heck yes!
LOL - i've had one reserved since Aug 2021, still waiting....but never thought of this strategy for the tank - NICE!!!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back