Anyone growing phyto outdoors.

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Like the title says is anyone growing phytoplankton outdoors.
If so are there any problems with heat or cold ?
Ive grown it in hanging bags in the window before and it worked well, im just trying to get it out of the house.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but not me-yet. I’m going to order some soon as the wife goes on vacation.
Some people use kiddie pools but freezing is a problem and I supposed solar heating might also pose an issue?
Following to see the answer(s).
Thx

OP
OP
S

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to just grow it on a table out in the sun in 2 litre bottles and a air pump.
I ordered from Florida aqua farms 2 discs and some f2 food.
Cant wait to get some going.

Last edited:

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing it outside with an air Pump for about a year. I’m in San Diego so doesn’t get to cold here but during the summer I get a lot of evaporation and on temperatures 85+ I bring it inside just in case. I’m using an old sun tea container with a drain I got at Walmart.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. I grow tigger pods outside. As a result I do put phyto in the water and it self populates for a bit... I continually have to add new phyto not just because it gets eaten but because the culture becomes “compromised” in the outdoors. I live close enough to the ocean that I hear the sea lions every morning when I take my dog out. It is my belief that the fog brings new algae cells to my cultures. I have no idea how far inland those get carried -but I would guess it is QUITE a long ways... so I would definitely keep that in mind.

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. I grow tigger pods outside. As a result I do put phyto in the water and it self populates for a bit... I continually have to add new phyto not just because it gets eaten but because the culture becomes “compromised” in the outdoors. I live close enough to the ocean that I hear the sea lions every morning when I take my dog out. It is my belief that the fog brings new algae cells to my cultures. I have no idea how far inland those get carried -but I would guess it is QUITE a long ways... so I would definitely keep that in mind.
I have been looking at breeding tigger pods myself.
What kind of temp fluctuations do you get at your place?

Thank you

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Monterey CA currently so temp is really really stable. 45-74F year round. I have grown them in CO though 20-105F it was a bit more touchy. They came indoors in the winter -no real production indoors but the colony would not totally collapse then went back out in the spring. In super high heat I had to make sure they stayed in the shade all day!

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Monterey CA currently so temp is really really stable. 45-74F year round. I have grown them in CO though 20-105F it was a bit more touchy. They came indoors in the winter -no real production indoors but the colony would not totally collapse then went back out in the spring. In super high heat I had to make sure they stayed in the shade all day!
Thank you! I am looking to do a garage setup and my temps stay well within that range.

Did you start with the Reef Nutrition ones or another source?

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Wisconsin. So I only do this in the summer. Put it on the side of my house with early day sunlight used a squirt of ferti fro my planted tank

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.3%
Back