Anyone have a Dip method for new Corals with Zoa Spiders

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I got my order from Pieceoftheocean.com I received three Zoas that I ordered a ASD Atmosphere Zoa,Alpha Omega zoa Xmas and a Spiderman Zoa. When I opened the package I saw zoa spiders on each frag. I know to get rid of them or try to keep them in check because they lay eggs in mouth of zoas is to use a hydrogen peroxide dip. I didn't know if their is a special dip process people use to get rid of them initially with the eggs. Today I did a hydrogen Peroxide dip and then a coral rx dip and about 20 spiders came off. The three frags are currently in a make shift quarantine tank. I am just trying to figure out if their is anything more i can do to make sure they are all gone before introducing into my main tank.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jesus that’s not good I wouldn’t order from them again tbh... don’t put them In your display I would quarintine them if you really want to save them... you’ll probably be observing and dipping them for quite some time... give the zoas some breaks so as to not weaken them too much with the peroxide dipping but Bayer is a good one too and peroxide, iodine is more for bacterial issues but may work on occasion just be careful and take it slow

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good success with Bayer followed by CoralRX. there is a ton of info here and BRS about Bayer dipping.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jesus that’s not good I wouldn’t order from them again tbh... don’t put them In your display I would quarintine them if you really want to save them... you’ll probably be observing and dipping them for quite some time... give the zoas some breaks so as to not weaken them too much with the peroxide dipping but Bayer is a good one too and peroxide, iodine is more for bacterial issues but may work on occasion just be careful and take it slow
Yea I am bummed out I was going to email them about it but not even worth my time. $100 bucks down the drain basically. But I definitely will never buy from them again.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I am bummed out I was going to email them about it but not even worth my time. $100 bucks down the drain basically. But I definitely will never buy from them again.
I would say it’s definitely worth your time. Did you happen to take a picture of the critters you pulled off? I ordered some corals through WWC and one of my 3 didn’t open and I definitely contacted them. It takes a few minutes to email

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it’s definitely worth your time. Did you happen to take a picture of the critters you pulled off? I ordered some corals through WWC and one of my 3 didn’t open and I definitely contacted them. It takes a few minutes to email
This is very true I only took one picture of the big one that I sucked off of the frag. I should’ve taken the picture of the peroxide dip where they were all floating around dead. I’ll take the time to email them now if anything just to alert them that the Zoa they are selling may have spiders on them.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I emailed them and they responded back. Really didn’t offer much of a solution. And just said it was smart of me to quarantine and do a peroxide dip. Needless to say I will not be doing business with them again.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I emailed them and they responded back. Really didn’t offer much of a solution. And just said it was smart of me to quarantine and do a peroxide dip. Needless to say I will not be doing business with them again.
WWC gives you 10 days after arrival if the coral dies they offer you a replacement or a credit. I wonder if they do the same thing?

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC gives you 10 days after arrival if the coral dies they offer you a replacement or a credit. I wonder if they do the same thing?
Hey Scott,

Thanks so much for the heads up and really sorry about that. Importing wild colonies really can be a headache sometimes. Fortunately those two frags were from our receiving tank, so we can handle the issue without too much headache. Smart man to dip and quarantine all your frags though.

Anyway, thanks and our apologies for the pests again.
This was the email I got. No mention of credit or anything

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in all seriousness, I use coral Rx dip. Haven't had any issues yet! I was hesitant at first due to the intense cleaner odor, but as long as you follow the directions, it should be fine :)

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in all seriousness, I use coral Rx dip. Haven't had any issues yet! I was hesitant at first due to the intense cleaner odor, but as long as you follow the directions, it should be fine :)
I use coral Rx on my corals all the time. I just get paranoid with the Spiders because they can lay in the mouth of the coral and not be affected by the dip

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am astonished... there is an article in the WSJ about this vendor ....

Tonyreeffish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang there's no way they didnt know they were sending you loaded bombs. Thats messed up. Luckily ive never had to deal with them. If they die you could probably ask for a refund but unfortunately they probably wont refund if the zoas are alive.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back