Anyone have a PAR meter for rent?

My understanding of it is that Aquaworld now has one that they rent out with a deposit
 
I'm a little late to the thread. Yes I have a par meter. Never used it yet. Picked it up during a BRS sale. I live in Bethel Park and work in Crafton if our paths would cross.
Ok! No worries. A buddy in new castle and I’m in butler are trying to finagle one. Maybe we can work out a meet up here. Do you do any reef shopping locally? Reef gallery is getting some fish Monday so I’m stopping by later…I’m still working on them to buy one for rent. Lol.
 
I'm working on getting the club to buy a PAR meter. The only issue that we have never been able to solve is how to ensure that a person can borrow it and is actually forced to bring it back. I guess the best that I have been able to come up with is the someone on the board needs to bring it to the person and baby sit the meter for a " tip". Like basically I do a lot for the club and I get that it is a volunteer job, but I'm honestly just not willing to spend my days off work driving around paying $4.19 a gallon mapping out people's PAR. I wouldn't mind volunteering my time, but couldn't afford to basically donate $20 in gas everything someone wanted to use the meter. I'm 110% for getting a PAR meter for the betterment of our members, so if you guys have any solid ideas on how to securely allow people to use it I'm all ears.
 
I'm working on getting the club to buy a PAR meter. The only issue that we have never been able to solve is how to ensure that a person can borrow it and is actually forced to bring it back. I guess the best that I have been able to come up with is the someone on the board needs to bring it to the person and baby sit the meter for a " tip". Like basically I do a lot for the club and I get that it is a volunteer job, but I'm honestly just not willing to spend my days off work driving around paying $4.19 a gallon mapping out people's PAR. I wouldn't mind volunteering my time, but couldn't afford to basically donate $20 in gas everything someone wanted to use the meter. I'm 110% for getting a PAR meter for the betterment of our members, so if you guys have any solid ideas on how to securely allow people to use it I'm all ears.
You would have to take either a "core charge" deposit - so a CC hold of 500 bucks or whatever - that would be held until the item is returned in good condition or at very least you would have to have a CC on file and written rules of late penalties and/or charges for replacement if it's not returned.
 
You would have to take either a "core charge" deposit - so a CC hold of 500 bucks or whatever - that would be held until the item is returned in good condition or at very least you would have to have a CC on file and written rules of late penalties and/or charges for replacement if it's not returned.
Yeah. You would think, but my question then becomes the person keeps the meter, we charge the card, they do a charge back, the bank gives them the money. I get charge backs at the store I've never won, even with videos of them buying the stuff in person, stopping the card and signing for it.
 
Yeah. You would think, but my question then becomes the person keeps the meter, we charge the card, they do a charge back, the bank gives them the money. I get charge backs at the store I've never won, even with videos of them buying the stuff in person, stopping the card and signing for it.
That’s a risk with anything. A decent CC processor will allow you to dispute that charge back and if there is a signed agreement and the machine is tagged/cataloged it shouldn’t be an issue. People try and pull that stuff with me at the furniture stores and I can’t remember the last time I lost a dispute.

I’d also like to think someone borrowing from a local club/store would have some sense of dignity and honor, but I’ve been proven wrong before. People are pretty terrible these days.

maybe I’ll do it. Furniture and PAR meters. Lol.
 
I do wonder if you had them sign something with a copy of their driver's license and charged them via PayPal then just refunded it when they returned it. Sort of how BRS does it only minus the restocking fee.
 
I do wonder if you had them sign something with a copy of their driver's license and charged them via PayPal then just refunded it when they returned it. Sort of how BRS does it only minus the restocking fee.
You would have to have some sort of collateral to pull it off, be that a deposit or a hold or first born....something.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new