Anyone have animals that glow at night?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I don't know if there is an upwelling or why they come to the surface to feed at night there. This is a good video of the dive. You will notice that some of the bioluminescent critters are immature/larval stages of familiar critters.

It says video unavailable for me...

PHXReefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on a night snorkel while on a school trip at Catalina island and swam with bioluminescent plankton/microorganisms at the water surface. I’ll never forget it, too cool.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have bioluminescent organisms living in my aquarium system. I have written two articles on this subject for R2R which I have linked below. These organisms were hitchhikers from live rock/live sand. They are all small organisms many of which I have not identified yet. I try to do a viewing session at least a couple nights a week and normally get a few nice flashes within a 30 minute session. The photos below captured a burgler alarm flash of light as a reaction to the conchs disturbing bioluminescent organisms. I think that bioluminescent displays occur in many reef aquariums but it is often not something that is looked for therefore the rate of hobbyists reporting it is rather low.

Article links
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/reefing-after-dark-–-bioluminescence-in-the-reef-aquarium.387/
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/reefing-after-dark-part-2-bioluminescence-observations-research.511/

IMG_7569.JPG
IMG_7570.JPG

GreenreefSC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was a way to simulate the bio luminescence are used to see on the beach in Maine and summer growing up. It’s very hard to explain how cool that was like standing in the waves and breaking apart a glow stick. I have no idea if it’s even possible to re-create that at home. On a sidenote we do have glow worms in the summertime out here they’re weird as heck
its so amazing, ive walked on a beach in the south east where the sand would glow when you disrupt it. Your footprints would glow as you walked on the beach!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back