Anyone have any pointers/feedback for this aquascape?

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's attempt 2. Without hammering and chiseling... I like it, I think fish will like it, but Corals are another story... I especially like the rock that looks like a dragon...

20211024_140720_HDR copy.jpg 20211024_140708_HDR copy.jpg 20211024_140703_HDR copy.jpg 20211024_140650_HDR copy.jpg

Geesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since this isn't your first rodeo I assume you may put in a low flow head at the back?

Still looks a little thick back there but my phone is a potato so it may just be me.

Much improved though.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since this isn't your first rodeo I assume you may put in a low flow head at the back?

Still looks a little thick back there but my phone is a potato so it may just be me.

Much improved though.
there's plenty of space behind the rock for flow... and I can indeed fit another powerhead/wavemaker back there. I was thinking about directing the return pump down the back of the aquarium too...

Geesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank I'm currently hoping to purchase has some options built in for different flow patterns.

I'm honestly overwhelmed. But in a good way.

Keep us updated on the progress.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If any - assure the cave like structures do not impede lower flow causing heavy buildup of detritus

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for me, you need to open the back a little to allow flow of 'free floating'.
as mentioned you have 'cave structures' these from my own experience create a vortex and food seems to settle without any issues with wavemaker

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for me, you need to open the back a little to allow flow of 'free floating'.
as mentioned you have 'cave structures' these from my own experience create a vortex and food seems to settle without any issues with wavemaker
it's pretty wide open back there, I think it's hard to see because the rocks at the top are blocking the light, for the most part they're V-shaped with the wide part at the top, but you can see pretty much from one side of the tank to the other behind the rocks and there are several places where I can fit my fist back there

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks much better than previous pics. I’d still take a hammer and chisel to them. :)

You can make better caves and habitat for the fish to hide.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks much better than previous pics. I’d still take a hammer and chisel to them. :)

You can make better caves and habitat for the fish to hide.
my trepidation with taking a hammer and chisel to them (especially the purple caribsea rocks) is the ugly white that will be showing, and while I know it's safe (at least according to everyone I've ever watched on youtube) I'm still hesitant about using superglue to adhere pieces together in the shapes I want...

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke mine up so I could really work with it. All the rocks below were big boulders like yours. Yes, get the gimbal out take a good video for us. :)

384646EE-A1B7-4C03-B2D5-F72E4A7FCE5A.jpeg
DBB45959-3E8E-493F-BCA5-91C3E680B704.jpeg

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others said, too much rock. Try taking half out and redo. Go for some caves and swim-thrus. think terraces or "feet" in front to back for depth. Maybe slant so higher one side to give some visual appeal or even 2 structures with an arch. Def. break up your rock so not all round pcs. Sometimes, it takes several tries to get the right look for the planned animals.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others said, too much rock. Try taking half out and redo. Go for some caves and swim-thrus. think terraces or "feet" in front to back for depth. Maybe slant so higher one side to give some visual appeal or even 2 structures with an arch. Def. break up your rock so not all round pcs. Sometimes, it takes several tries to get the right look for the planned animals.
already fixed most of it, post at the top of the 2nd page shows updated, but I have an order of "shapes" rocks coming so it may change one more time...

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my trepidation with taking a hammer and chisel to them (especially the purple caribsea rocks) is the ugly white that will be showing, and while I know it's safe (at least according to everyone I've ever watched on youtube) I'm still hesitant about using superglue to adhere pieces together in the shapes I want...
I’d use something like epoxy or Glue Masters Premium Thin Super Glue with sand. Both of those will work well. The BRS thick gel works well to get the rocks started. All of it is reef safe.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
already fixed most of it, post at the top of the 2nd page shows updated, but I have an order of "shapes" rocks coming so it may change one more time...
Take your time, no need to rush! You gotta live with this for 3-10 years! Do it right!

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d use something like epoxy or Glue Masters Premium Thin Super Glue with sand. Both of those will work well. The BRS thick gel works well to get the rocks started. All of it is reef safe.
I get that all of it is Reef Safe... But then I think to myself, if a glue factory were dumping excess glue into the ocean, we'd have some serious problems, lol... Like, a part of me understands it's not toxic for the use I would be using it for, but the other part of me is still leary for some reason >.<

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that all of it is Reef Safe... But then I think to myself, if a glue factory were dumping excess glue into the ocean, we'd have some serious problems, lol... Like, a part of me understands it's not toxic for the use I would be using it for, but the other part of me is still leary for some reason >.<
No need to worry, it’s been done for years. The PVC cement in your pipes is worse than the coral glue. :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back