Changing Aquascape on Established Aquarium with Fish, CUC and coral

Andrew Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of changing my aquascape in my one year old tank from this (FYI this photo is from day one of the tank being set up):

Aquascape 1.jpg

to something like this:

Aquascape 2.jpg

The reasons for the change are as follows:

1. I procrastinated setting up my current aquascape, and finally glued and puttied it all together in a couple of hours while the installers were here. Some of the rockwork isn't very stable.
2. I would like more caves and swim throughs for fish to hide. I unfortunately lost a yellow and purple tang, they never seemed to have a place to hide. I also have a blue throat triggerfish that paces the tank and is a little scared of us.
3. I have a lot of hair algae and can use this as a chance to reset.
4. I only have a few coral, and no acros.
5. My rockwork turned out well considering the time restrictions, but doesn't create the desired natural feel that I would like.

Reasons not to change the rockwork:

1. I have nine fish, two shrimp, a bunch of clean up crew including five urchins and don't want to kill anything with a move. How do you remove an aquascape without hurting anything, and where do you store the fish and inverts while I aquascape?
2. I'm really worried about my rockwork falling apart as I pick it up, and the rocks scratching or cracking the glass.
3. I've had a really crap year with my aquarium (3 strains of dinoflagellates, hair algae, bubble algae, aiptasia, cyano and lost several fish on top of half my coral. I'm finally making progress with the issues, and don't want any spikes to kill anything else.
4. I'm not sure how to build the aquascape that I would like.

Sorry for the long post!! Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Andrew

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of changing my aquascape in my one year old tank from this (FYI this photo is from day one of the tank being set up):

Aquascape 1.jpg

to something like this:

Aquascape 2.jpg

The reasons for the change are as follows:

1. I procrastinated setting up my current aquascape, and finally glued and puttied it all together in a couple of hours while the installers were here. Some of the rockwork isn't very stable.
2. I would like more caves and swim throughs for fish to hide. I unfortunately lost a yellow and purple tang, they never seemed to have a place to hide. I also have a blue throat triggerfish that paces the tank and is a little scared of us.
3. I have a lot of hair algae and can use this as a chance to reset.
4. I only have a few coral, and no acros.
5. My rockwork turned out well considering the time restrictions, but doesn't create the desired natural feel that I would like.

Reasons not to change the rockwork:

1. I have nine fish, two shrimp, a bunch of clean up crew including five urchins and don't want to kill anything with a move. How do you remove an aquascape without hurting anything, and where do you store the fish and inverts while I aquascape?
2. I'm really worried about my rockwork falling apart as I pick it up, and the rocks scratching or cracking the glass.
3. I've had a really crap year with my aquarium (3 strains of dinoflagellates, hair algae, bubble algae, aiptasia, cyano and lost several fish on top of half my coral. I'm finally making progress with the issues, and don't want any spikes to kill anything else.
4. I'm not sure how to build the aquascape that I would like.

Sorry for the long post!! Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Andrew
Agree with you - to re-arrange rock work - its often quicker to not glue anything - I wouldn't ever do it - however - Not sure the exact issue - pull it apart - re-arrange it as you like and you're all good. If you want to scrub off the hair algae (which I don't see in your pictures - do that as well)

Given what you said at the end of your post - leave it the way it is - which is fine - add new rock possibly ?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with jsut adding new rock if possible, it seems like your desired scape requires more rock anyway. that way you don't distrub what's already there, AND you get more surface area for beneficial bacteria. I also agree the new scape will be more satisfying to your fish for more hiding spaces, and to you in the long run for more coral growing real estate.

Webbed Feet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"1. <snip> How do you remove an aquascape without hurting anything, and where do you store the fish and inverts while I aquascape?"

Leave life in the tank. Design new aquascaps for the left and right side. With help to have someone on each side of the tank remove old rock from just one side, insert new scape that side only. Wait a couple of months and add supplimental bacteria cultures immediately to avoid issues from removing half of old rock. Then do the other side.

"2. I'm really worried about my rockwork falling apart as I pick it up, and the rocks scratching or cracking the glass."

See above, and get help. Should be fine unless both of you are klutzes. Go slow.

"3. I've had a really crap year ..... <snip> "

See above, research products like Dr. Tims or other suplimental bacteria additives of your choice. Most of what you need is in the substrate, but if the environmnet is out of balence not aquascaping as you wish will not fix that anyway. Got room in the sump? Put some of the old rocks in it.

"4. I'm not sure how to build the aquascape that I would like."

BRS has a good video to watch on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back