Anyone have any working method to get rid of Digitate Hydroids?

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The digitate hydroids in my 13.5g tank seem almost impossible to get rid of i sometimes try and remove them with turkey blaster but unless i get the whole body the foot they grow back their head. my fire shrimp always gets annoyed when hes walking and jumps almost everytime he touches one, my emerald crab doesnt seem to get annoyed by them cause they touch her and she doesnt react. same with all my hermits.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? my experience is that they will fade away over time.
Same here :)

The digitate hydroids in my 13.5g tank seem almost impossible to get rid of i sometimes try and remove them with turkey blaster but unless i get the whole body the foot they grow back their head. my fire shrimp always gets annoyed when hes walking and jumps almost everytime he touches one, my emerald crab doesnt seem to get annoyed by them cause they touch her and she doesnt react. same with all my hermits.
Feeding tiny particulate foods?

OP
OP
kjkszpj9

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is almost 1 year old, i feed Nyos Artemis, formula two marine pellets or flakes once a day, not to much but enough for my 2 clowns.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’ve heard (never tried these, so can’t vouch for their effectiveness):
The suggestions I’ve heard include picking them out with tweezers, starving them out (a few different methods for this, but the one quoted below seems to be the most prevalent in use), and using dwarf angefish/certain wrasses to eat them.
Looks like a colony of digitate Hydroids. You will need to starve them simply by directing water flow towards them, not at them and they will soon starve

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You have to cut at base manually which is most effective. Aim water towards them also causes them to starve and die off but is hit and miss

OP
OP
kjkszpj9

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to cut at base manually which is most effective. Aim water towards them also causes them to starve and die off but is hit and miss
Not easy to aim water when you have this tank.

Attachments

• 16945859303513587502386055835547.jpg
    16945859303513587502386055835547.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 41

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with some hitchhiking into my 8 yr old tank after adding some snails! Unfortunately I thought they looked interesting until they started bothering my mushrooms :/ I use mg tank toothbrush to remove them. Since they expand and contract, you have to scrub in a long enough motion to dislodge the foot. Anytime I see them pop back up by my powerhead I just give them another scrubbing. It’s not a magic bullet but has reduced their size and numbers. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
kjkszpj9

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with some hitchhiking into my 8 yr old tank after adding some snails! Unfortunately I thought they looked interesting until they started bothering my mushrooms :/ I use mg tank toothbrush to remove them. Since they expand and contract, you have to scrub in a long enough motion to dislodge the foot. Anytime I see them pop back up by my powerhead I just give them another scrubbing. It’s not a magic bullet but has reduced their size and numbers. Hope this helps!
Yeah that probably wont work for me, most of the hydroids are for some reason on pieces of bigger sand pieces in the sand bed and some are in the rock areas, but thrers also a decent amount of them in my hang on filter inside

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that probably wont work for me, most of the hydroids are for some reason on pieces of bigger sand pieces in the sand bed and some are in the rock areas, but thrers also a decent amount of them in my hang on filter inside
Oh that’s super annoying! I had one in the sand bed causing my tiny mushroom major irritation and it seemed impossible to get it- what finally worked was holding the toothbrush nearby long enough for it to get comfortable with it there, then as it’s head was fluttering around in front of a rock, I quickly brushed it upward from bottom, while pushing it against the rock, to pull it out. I learned that move from watching my hermit catch one lol .. but i see a few small ones in my sand now and am wondering what to do with those too lol… maybe i’ll move a rock closer haha good luck with these little pests!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint Shrimp eat digitate hydroids. Get like 5 or 6 shrimp and sit back and watch the show. There are a few threads confirming this and it mostly worked for me until my Flame Hawkfish ate the shrimp.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back