Anyone Have Experience On Maculiceps Tang?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only seen adult maculiceps in public aquaria.

Personally, I wouldn't put them in my "impossibly big tang" category which includes dussumieri, mata, vlamingii and the unicorn Nasos. But they do get huge. Some tangs have streamers, too, which can mess with my mind a bit when it comes to Total Length.

Experience with these large tangs, or at least watching them in person, should be the best guide, imo. If you watch them, they don't swim like the tangs we commonly keep. Zebrasoma and Ctenochaetus spend time picking at the rocks and glass, while the "huge" tangs spend most of their time cruising in the open water.

Sorry, I'm rambling a bit, too. I like discussing tangs....Good luck with your decision. It sounds like you are shying away from A. maculiceps, but there are lots of uncommon tangs that would be fine in a 240. Tennentii might be a good one....or blonde Naso, or chevron, or Atlantic blue.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While this has drifted a bit off topic, my apologies. I think this is an important issue at a contemporary turning point for the community. 5 years ago I may have simply dropped the point and I certainly would not have used as strong language.

@MnFish1 we certainly agree that very few tangs will live in the wild to full adult sizes. I also agree that very few tangs in captivity make it to full adulthood. I took issue with the blasé statement that the max size should not be considered, because we as hobbyists fail so often. While I appreciate there are nuances which can mitigate how large a factor into ones personal decision making the max size of a fish is. I myself have bent and broken the rules. I was concerned that your post would send the wrong message to the beginners, who frequent these forums, and may not understand the implied nuance.

Were this hobby not under scrutiny to clean up our act around wild fish and corals I probably wouldn't feel the need to say that it was reprehensible. We as a community have to do a good job policing our public record. While I am all for debating the nuances of ethical housing of monster fish, to start we need to get away from the 90s under-gravel mentality of "oh its small now and I don't need to worry about that until later"
Have no disagreement - and I never said that size 'shouldn't be considered' - I just think its funny that people get all hyped up on tangs - when in reality - the range they travel (the common one's in the hobby) is not that different than triggers and angels (larger varieties). If your argument is 'we shouldn't keep fish that get larger than 6 inches in a 200 gallon tank' - ok - thats fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That is Industry size and largest captive size ive seen is 6"

maculiceps Tang2.jpg

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish people could be more cordial, respectful, and not bash people on here. I believe the overwhelming majority of us want to do the right thing for the pets we care for in our aquariums, and if we see a problem we will do what is necessary to rectify that problem. I don’t agree with keeping certain fish in overly small tanks no matter the species. I haven’t experienced quick growth rate from any of my tangs. I’ve had a hippo tang for nearly 10 years that is only 5” and a sailfin tang for 8 years that’s about 4” when puffed up. Sailfins are reported to get 15” but I’ve yet to see one close to that in a home aquarium. These are far from the only tangs Ive had over the years. I believe the fish you want is beautiful and have considered getting one myself. No matter what you decide I wish you the best.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Citation needed on any species of wild tang which has a life expectancy of 40 years, let alone only reaching full size after that time. That’s Big dubious claim, Needs a pretty sold piece of support.

Not worrying about the max adult size is frankly reprehensible and unethical. It may take time to reach that size, but no ethical fish keeper plans on killing or stunting their pets before they reach adulthood. Rehousing has its own ethical issues which I won’t get into but you need to at least have a plan of how big before it needs re-homed and how am I going to re-home it. Before anyone buys a fish they need to at least have a plan to address its needs through it’s expected life. That plan can change but to not at least think about it is unethical.

Specifically with this fish, It’s not a commonly highly desirable fish at large size, so not a lot of places/people want one. Far easier to re-home almost any other surgeon. Naso, blue, sohal, ect because they are both smaller and in higher demand(ie. not brown)
This is the type of fish you absolutely have to think of what am I going to do with this monster sized tang, or Be liable to end up like the other that has been on the front page, stumped finding and adequate home in the future.

I’m not saying don’t bend the rules on a small one, but follow it up with an adequate lifetime care plan. Am I willing to build a big enough tank or saltwater pond? Or do I have a place actually arranged, not hypothetical places, which will take them when they exceed your ability to house them? These are the questions we have to ask ourselves before we take on the responsibility of an ocean animal under our care, for our enjoyment.
OK - here you go - From NOAA (Hopefully, they are not making a bid dubious claim): https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/ocea...ants/NA10NOS4100062/6_FISHLIFE_YellowTang.pdf

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like to participate on this place anymore but didn't want to leave this unrebuked.

OK - here you go - From NOAA (Hopefully, they are not making a bid dubious claim): https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/ocea...ants/NA10NOS4100062/6_FISHLIFE_YellowTang.pdf
This article does not say this:
It can take tangs 40 years to get to 'adult size'

The life expectancy is not 40 years on average. They grow quickly to near their max size and taper off growth afterwards. The data agrees, we hashed this out years ago. I am not sure why you felt the need to bring up a puff piece on a distantly related species to try to justify to your unethical care advice.

- I would not worry about the 16 inch size.
To ignore max size is not acceptable advice when talking about the purchase of a wild animal. I dont care how long it takes. It is trashy behavior that reflects poorly on all aquarists if we do not call it out.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree on arguments and disagreements but also this is a forum and debates will occur. It’s generally done with respect
As for this tang, I’ve owned one, know persons who own one and have seen them at wholesalers and they average 4-6” captive size
Even in Hawaii I saw larger ones at about 12-14” max

troypt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the original topic. I tried for a few years to keep a maculiceps tang, but they all slowly got skinnier and skinnier and would die despite eating. I tried all different kinds of food. I finally got one a year ago and started feeding seaweed extreme pellets as part of my daily feeding and it is doing great. It’s a beautiful fish in my opinion. It gets along fine with my purple tang, hippo tang and orange shoulder tang.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Back to the original topic. I tried for a few years to keep a maculiceps tang, but they all slowly got skinnier and skinnier and would die despite eating. I tried all different kinds of food. I finally got one a year ago and started feeding seaweed extreme pellets as part of my daily feeding and it is doing great. It’s a beautiful fish in my opinion. It gets along fine with my purple tang, hippo tang and orange shoulder tang.
Problem I had with mine was it tried to eat All the food

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was reading through this I was actually going to commend the people here for having relatively civil disagreeement and showing sources, haven't seen that in a while here. But someone said that they deemed it a little on the aggressive side, so maybe nevermind.

Zestfullyclean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my Maculiceps tang four weeks ago. Such a beautiful tang has tons of personality and he’s been doing great so far. Eats like a pig and hasn’t been aggressive.

Attachments

• E2D94579-B2B2-425F-B629-2F4D3A524985.jpeg
    E2D94579-B2B2-425F-B629-2F4D3A524985.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 46
  • F50AB367-3F6E-4123-8014-2295890F3EFD.jpeg
    F50AB367-3F6E-4123-8014-2295890F3EFD.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 38
Back