anyone have experience with BRS hybrid balling method?

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the BRS hybrid balling method? Noticed any positive changes? Sent out a ICP test? I have been curious of this since the BRS video last year, but was apprehensive in trying it. Was hoping that it's been long enough now some folks have some real hands on experience with it.

I currently dose BRS 2 part.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a perfectly fine improvement over my DIY recipe. There is no drawback to using it instead of my DIY part 3 (except cost).

That said, you may or may not not see an apparent difference in the aquarium when using it.

IMO, it would be more useful to use it if you are not doing water changes.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a perfectly fine improvement over my DIY recipe. There is no drawback to using it instead of my DIY part 3 (except cost).

That said, you may or may not not see an apparent difference in the aquarium when using it.

IMO, it would be more useful to use it if you are not doing water changes.

I typically do 20% biweekly water changes.

In their video they talk about the slow creep up of salinity, and then folks lowering their salinity then dosing up the big 3, then trace elements being too low. As well as chloride and sodium building up. Are you saying that with regular water changes this is not a concern?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically do 20% biweekly water changes.

In their video they talk about the slow creep up of salinity, and then folks lowering their salinity then dosing up the big 3, then trace elements being too low. As well as chloride and sodium building up. Are you saying that with regular water changes this is not a concern?

All ions drop with the salinity correction, and my part 3 only deals with magnesium and chloride and sulfate issues.

Sodium is dealt with by the salinity correction.

My original recipe also solved it for potassium since it was an impurity in the calcium chloride (Dowflake) at the right level). But higher purity calcium chloride may not have sufficient potassium, so it and a variety of minor and trace elements may decline, while they would not using Balling Part C instead of my DIY part 3.

As to the impact of water changes, they reduce the concern. they may not eliminate it.

IMO, this issue is not very significant for consumed trace elements, but is most important for potassium and the minor ions that are not otherwise consumed much. The actual consumption and loss of ions like manganese and iron is far higher than any lowering from salinity corrections. hence the need for supplements, even when changing water.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All ions drop with the salinity correction, and my part 3 only deals with magnesium and chloride and sulfate issues.

Sodium is dealt with by the salinity correction.

My original recipe also solved it for potassium since it was an impurity in the calcium chloride (Dowflake) at the right level). But higher purity calcium chloride may not have sufficient potassium, so it and a variety of minor and trace elements may decline, while they would not using Balling Part C instead of my DIY part 3.

As to the impact of water changes, they reduce the concern. they may not eliminate it.

IMO, this issue is not very significant for consumed trace elements, but is most important for potassium and the minor ions that are not otherwise consumed much. The actual consumption and loss of ions like manganese and iron is far higher than any lowering from salinity corrections. hence the need for supplements, even when changing water.

Thank You. I think I'll likely give it a try then. Think I may do a ICP before I start, and then do half of the recommended part C for 3 months, and then do another ICP test. And see what happens.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You. I think I'll likely give it a try then. Think I may do a ICP before I start, and then do half of the recommended part C for 3 months, and then do another ICP test. And see what happens.

Why half? if I were going to do it, I'd go whole hog.

There's no uncertainty in what needs to be added. The Part C is not someone's "preference" of what to add, nor is it really a supplement where different tanks may vary.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why half? if I were going to do it, I'd go whole hog.

There's no uncertainty in what needs to be added. The Part C is not someone's "preference" of what to add, nor is it really a supplement where different tanks may vary.
My thought process is this. Part C is based off of 2 part consumption. Dosing twice as much part C as 2 part. But what if some of the 2 part if precipitating out? Wil I not start overdosing trace elements?

My tank consumption seems to be pretty stable of both alk and cal. And there is no visible precipitation on heaters or equipment. But some likely is still I would think. I am just worried that part C is all of the metals that I may overdose them.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that it is 2x if using soda ash, 1X if using sodium bicarbonate. I have been using this on my 2 tanks I am dosing 2 part on for the last 6 months or so. I use soda ash and dose about 2x. I use a trident to control dosing on 1 of my tanks so I set an approximate amount of Part C to dose. If I see my dosing changing materially I will update the amount of the Part C that it is dosing. I don't look at this as a quick fix but more of something that will have a long-term benefit over the life of the tank.

Also I add the Part C anytime I use Alk, even when raising my newly made saltwater to the Alk level I want.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought process is this. Part C is based off of 2 part consumption. Dosing twice as much part C as 2 part. But what if some of the 2 part if precipitating out? Wil I not start overdosing trace elements?

My tank consumption seems to be pretty stable of both alk and cal. And there is no visible precipitation on heaters or equipment. But some likely is still I would think. I am just worried that part C is all of the metals that I may overdose them.
No.

The Balling Part C is based on the sodium and chloride added, which is what it corrects for, not on the calcium or carbonate consumption.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that it is 2x if using soda ash, 1X if using sodium bicarbonate. I have been using this on my 2 tanks I am dosing 2 part on for the last 6 months or so. I use soda ash and dose about 2x. I use a trident to control dosing on 1 of my tanks so I set an approximate amount of Part C to dose. If I see my dosing changing materially I will update the amount of the Part C that it is dosing. I don't look at this as a quick fix but more of something that will have a long-term benefit over the life of the tank.

Also I add the Part C anytime I use Alk, even when raising my newly made saltwater to the Alk level I want.
How long have you been using it? And Have you had a icp test since?

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley , 1 other question about your recipe. For magnesium BRS has 1 recipe for general adjustment and 1 recipe for 2 part. I always end up adjusting the magnesium in my fresh saltwater up (Red sea blue bucket). Would it be better to use the general adjustment recipe or the 2 part?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley , 1 other question about your recipe. For magnesium BRS has 1 recipe for general adjustment and 1 recipe for 2 part. I always end up adjusting the magnesium in my fresh saltwater up (Red sea blue bucket). Would it be better to use the general adjustment recipe or the 2 part?

If you are using calcium chloride, and are not using Balling Part C or my DIY part 3 based on recipe and not measurement of magnesium, then use the one intended for a two part.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using calcium chloride, and are not using Balling Part C or my DIY part 3 based on recipe and not measurement of magnesium, then use the one intended for a two part.
I am about to start using the balling. But I was wondering which magnesium recipe to use when I make fresh saltwater for a water change. As i like to raise it up higher then when Red sea blue bucket mix up at.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to start using the balling. But I was wondering which magnesium recipe to use when I make fresh saltwater for a water change. As i like to raise it up higher then when Red sea blue bucket mix up at.

It won't matter much in that context, but the "perfect" choice is the one intended for adjustments.

Back