Anyone have problems after switching to kalk?

aquariumworks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible low DO(Dissolved Oxygen)?
What's your pH?

IMG_0181.jpg
IMG_0176.jpg
IMG_0180.jpg
IMG_0183.jpg
IMG_0184.jpg

This is all fairly new growth, I had a misfortune with a faulty heater in January.
Wiped out 90% of my coral with a temp of 91 deg., I'm surprised my fish made it..
So I figured it would be a good time to try a more economical way of supplementing, since I'd almost be starting from scratch...

I switched back to Kalk after 10 years of using C-Balane and EcoSystem Reef Solution; Simply for economics..
I mix 3 table spoons of Kalk in one gallon of RODI and it every other day as evap.(pour off the clear solution into the sump near my skimmer intake)
On opposing days to Kalk mix, I use Strontium Chloride(2 Table spoons in one gallon), and Bright-well MagnesIon-P(2 table spoons in one gallon)

Weekly I add NF metals, Potassium, and 5ml of lugol's (This was part of my supplementing before switching back to Kalk)

120 Gallon Mixed Reef

NO3 - <10 PPM
PO4 - <.1 (Note: before using Kalk PO4 was .1-.25)
CA - 420 PPM
MG - 1470 PPM
SR - 16 PPM
DKH - 10º
SG - 1.026
pH - 8.6

OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the dissolved oxygen and forgot to check PH last night. I have not had ph problems in the 7 months or so this tank has been running though.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand its hard to increase calcium and alkalinity unless you're using concentrated kalk. I accidentally dosed 3x my daily consumption on Saturday at full saturation rodi. It had no impact on calcium or alkalinity. My Ph did rise to 8.72 though which probably should have killed a bunch of stuff. So far I haven't lost anything, and the effects may not be seen for quite a while still.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B. your tank requires its own entire forum because it runs differently than anyone elses on the planet.

Actually my tank runs the way all tanks used to run, then someone invented the internet and now every one's tank is the same. :dizzy:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Him or Pee Wee Herman

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I nearly lost all my sps when I started kalk. But it wasn't until about 3 months into dosing it. Montis were the first to show problems.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back