Anyone here into African Cichlids?

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's what I decided I'm gonna set up for my next tank. I'm pretty much over salt water/reef, except my little 20 gal. with a pair of clowns. I have had them and this tank setup almost hittin' 7 years now.

But I have been seein' these DIY foam 3d backgrounds. Has anyone tried/done this for your FW tanks? I'm, considering doin' this but didn't know if there was locals who could give some tips.

Probably just gonna end up doin' a 55.

Steve

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never have done one, but a few friends have. Rinsing multiple times is key. And not rushing the build. Of course, in this hobby, that's a lesson learned and anything requiring a little wait time is a cakewalk.

They do look GREAT, and the youtube DIY video is what the friends did. It worked fine.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not local, but I did a foam/river rock barrier wall for a bog tank set-up that was freshwater (can post up some pictures if you're interested). Personally while I think they look great, I don't think the foam would be all that good with africans. They need the holes and actual rocks to be able to move through and escape the aggriveness of the other fish.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the assumption there would be both. There has been in past setups I've seen. It's just a lot more natural looking background and somewhat useful for the smaller ones to hide around.

OP
OP
S

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue on what fish I'm gonna get. I would like to do maybe 5-6 fish. I have never kept cichlids so not really sure how many is possible in a 55. I'm not a fan of overcrowding so I'm not gonna do that. I just like their color. I was mainly thinkin' of the 3d background just for looks, just the background. I'm not creative enough to try and do all the over hangs and ledges as I have seen on some. I plan to add other structures for hiding and stuff.

Would love to see pics if you want to post.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to spawn them, go all male, mbuna or peacocks for color. The aggression isn't as bad if there's no females to compete with, and if you get different colors and shapes they won't fight as much either. Then the hiding places takes care of the rest.
The prettiest most colorful peacock I had was a tangerine firefish. There was a gorgeous hap as well--a tramitichromis intermedius. He was like a hologram. The rest of the overly pretty ones were mbuna. People always thought they were salt fish.
There are two ways to go, either very few fish so they have room to roam, or the overcrowding. And though you had said you're not a fan of overcrowding, the reason for it is, if there are a lot of fish the males get confused and can't chase the same fish relentlessly. Dithers aren't much help because they get attacked, with the exception of rainbows and some killies with certain Africans. So either very few fish or a whole lot--just don't go middle of the road. That's where the most trouble begins.
The food is really important too. They can get bloat if they're fed too much protein, in the case of mbuna and tropheus. Veggie flakes are perfect. They also have a long digestive tract so you can let them go with feeding them every other day, or once a day with no detrimental results. But don't overfeed. Another bloat trigger.
I had 35 tanks of these guys at one time. If you have any questions I'll be happy to give input. Guess I have already! Doh!

OP
OP
S

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably be gettin' some messages from me soon. From what I have been lookin' at on youtube and liveaquaria, the Mbuna is probably what I'm gonna go with. Says max size is 5". Doesn't seem too expensive either. I just want some color. When watchin' youtube vids, I have seen tanks with a lot of fish and I just don't like the look of a crowded tank. But I guess they do this for the reason you said.

So with a 55 how many would you say? Both options as far as very few to overcrowding.

Thanks,
Steve

OP
OP
S

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I like!

New 150 Gallon Mbuna Tank - YouTube

Looks like lace rock? I might spring the extra and just do a 75 gal. so I can have a larger footprint for the aquascape. For lighting I read they dont like it bright so I'm wondering if maybe somethin' like the 36" Marineland single bright led light would work. That way the sides would be shaded and get a nice underwater shimmer effect.

I'm gonna spend the rest of the day researchin'. I have no clue how you would tell a male from a female. But I have seen several "all male" Mbuna tanks on youtube and it looks peaceful.

Steve

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you want a 75 with an eheim...got one unoccupied now. The rocks just went. I have some lace rock lying around too. Gonna look at your link.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool video! Here's what I saw:
Yes it's lace rock. The fish list includes flavus, yellow labs, livingstoni, pseudotropheus acei yellow tail, pseud, lions cove, iodeus sprengerae(rusty cichlid), socolofi, lab. top trevawasea, and a couple of synodontis catfish. And a regular pleco. my spelling might be off--these names are unreal! But you don't have to buy from a retailer and settle for what they have. Theres a guy in Mt. Juliet I can give you the name of if you don't have it. He's got everything you'd see in that vid and more.
And if you want a flavus, I have one. I just won't be at the next meeting or I'd offer to bring it. They're the purple and yellow striped ones, and the females are brownish.
How to tell male from female--sometimes the females are dull colored. Most of the time, males have egg spots and females dont. Egg spots are on their anal fin. They're egg spots because the male will dig a pit, then attract a gravid female. He'll get in the pit when she's laying her eggs and picking them up, and flash his egg spots by shaking his tail. The female thinks they're more eggs and goes to pick them up. Her mouth is open, he sprays, and the eggs in her mouth get fertilized. So that's why the males have them but not the females.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue on what fish I'm gonna get. I would like to do maybe 5-6 fish. I have never kept cichlids so not really sure how many is possible in a 55. I'm not a fan of overcrowding so I'm not gonna do that. I just like their color. I was mainly thinkin' of the 3d background just for looks, just the background. I'm not creative enough to try and do all the over hangs and ledges as I have seen on some. I plan to add other structures for hiding and stuff.

Would love to see pics if you want to post.

The biggest issue with African cichlids is their aggressiveness. The holes, caves, and ability to swim behind and between the rocks is absolutely essential. As is overstocking in a 4' tank. If you don't overstock, you will end up with a single dominate male who will have killed off all your other fish. I know it seems unhumane, but with Africans, you have to spread that aggressiveness around.

I'll try and get some pictures up for you later this afternoon.

I was under the assumption there would be both. There has been in past setups I've seen. It's just a lot more natural looking background and somewhat useful for the smaller ones to hide around.

I've never seen on where they sat far enough from the back wall to be able to allow fish to swim in behind them. Perhaps some are doing them that way? If so that would be cool, and I'd love to see pictures of some. All the ones I've seen online have been pasted up against the back wall.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pasted up against the wall, but the small fish(fry and juvies) can sit in the crevices created by the relief of the boulders. Like where one foam rock formation ends and the next one begins. The big fish can't get in those cracks but the babies can. And then you put real rock in front of the whole operation so the big ones swim in and out of that.

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the mbunas, one way to tell male/female is by the spots on there lower fin near the tail. these are egg spots used for mating....

peacocks are teh way to go if you want color... there is a FW fish show in franklin this weekend and here is a local seller Music City Cichlids

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the mbunas, one way to tell male/female is by the spots on there lower fin near the tail. these are egg spots used for mating....

peacocks are teh way to go if you want color... there is a FW fish show in franklin this weekend and here is a local seller Music City Cichlids

That's the guy!

OP
OP
S

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you want a 75 with an eheim...got one unoccupied now. The rocks just went. I have some lace rock lying around too. Gonna look at your link.

I would be interested, but the thing is...I have $440 worth of store credit for AC. It will expire Oct. 23. So I'm planning on using that for a setup/supplies. If AC had the 72 bowfront aquarium in stock, I'd just use my credit on it and keep my stand/canopy I already have and do that setup.

But I'll keep you in mind....just in case. Hopefully yours will sale soon. Good price on it.

Steve

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back