Ideas for my new 5ft wide and tall (2.5ft) sump tank set up

marcus melbourne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeking ideas for how to stock my new 5x2x2.5ft tank with 4ft sump, artificial 3d rock wall and fine black gravel. So I think that’s about 700 litre / 185gallons

This tank site prominently in our family dining /kitchen area, and we’re looking for ideas for a few larger fish with some personality that would use the bottom and top layers of the tank (happy to grow slowly). Alternatively I really enjoy breeding cycles/processes and would love to make use of the now permanently siliconed 3d foam back wall if possible. Work means high effort fish (3 times a day feeding etc) isn’t feasible so I reckon that rules out stingrays etc, and maybe discuss.

Tank is currently cycling so also welcome any other feedback on initial set up, as it’s my first sump tank and large tank, but it feels like I’ve picked up a good setup. I’ve largely had African cichlids to date but wondering if it’s time to make a change to take advantage of sump water quality, height etc.

Thanks in advance all, the advice of this community has been invaluable to date.
IMG_2001.jpeg
IMG_2028.jpeg
IMG_1446.jpeg
IMG_1995.jpeg
IMG_1459.jpeg

Last edited:

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeking ideas for how to stock my new 5x2x2.5ft tank with 4ft sump, artificial 3d rock wall and fine black gravel. So I think that’s about 700 litre / 185gallons

This tank site prominently in our family dining /kitchen area, and we’re looking for ideas for a few larger fish with some personality that would use the bottom and top layers of the tank (happy to grow slowly). Alternatively I really enjoy breeding cycles/processes and would love to make use of the now permanently siliconed 3d foam back wall if possible. Work means high effort fish (3 times a day feeding etc) isn’t feasible so I reckon that rules out stingrays etc, and maybe discuss.

Tank is currently cycling so also welcome any other feedback on initial set up, as it’s my first sump tank and large tank, but it feels like I’ve picked up a good setup. I’ve largely had African cichlids to date but wondering if it’s time to make a change to take advantage of sump water quality, height etc.

Thanks in advance all, the advice of this community has been invaluable to date.
IMG_2001.jpeg
IMG_2028.jpeg
IMG_1446.jpeg
IMG_1995.jpeg
IMG_1459.jpeg
Welcome!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2001.jpeg
IMG_2028.jpeg
IMG_1446.jpeg
IMG_1995.jpeg
IMG_1459.jpeg
Welcome!

Drop a magnet in your sand to make sure and doesn't stick to it. If it does, I'd remove the sand.

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2001.jpeg
IMG_2028.jpeg
IMG_1446.jpeg
IMG_1995.jpeg
IMG_1459.jpeg
Welcome to R2R and Happy Reefing!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings and welcome to the reef! That size tank allows for a considerable variety of fish. What you stock with will depend on a few things- what is appealing to your eye, what else you plan on having in there (i.e. clams, corals, inverts), etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back