Anyone know the best base or hammock for attaching a maxima clam?

Racerrr14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently bought a maxima clam and I heard that after you put them on the rock, you can’t remove it. I heard that it will damage the foot. Is this true? If it is, I also heard that you can buy a “hammock” for it to attach to so you can move it later on. I wanna be able to move it since I just bought another rock I wanna see what spots best. I have it in the sand for right now. Is that alright? Anyways, I appreciate the help and info. Thanks

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently bought a maxima clam and I heard that after you put them on the rock, you can’t remove it. I heard that it will damage the foot. Is this true? If it is, I also heard that you can buy a “hammock” for it to attach to so you can move it later on. I wanna be able to move it since I just bought another rock I wanna see what spots best. I have it in the sand for right now. Is that alright? Anyways, I appreciate the help and info. Thanks
You can remove a clam after it's attached it's foot, but there is a specific procedure, and it can be damaged if not done correctly.

Clam "hammocks" and "cradles" are available and not a bad idea. I'm not sure there's a "best".

They also like light and many suggest placing them higher up vs. down low. Most will say to keep maximas off of the sand bed.

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could make your own "hammock" out of smaller pieces of rock. That way you could move it around in your tank if needed without having to remove it. Small rock and some glue or epoxy.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put it on a clam shell, or buy an official "clam hammock" from the LFS, and I think some hobbyists sell 3d printed hammocks. I just put mine on a rock years ago and its been there ever since.

It should be placed higher up in the rockwork to be closest to the light, it needs very strong light, and a stable tank.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make your own little bowl out of some 2 part putty.

IMO, clams do better when left to attach and not be disturbed or moved around at all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back