Maxima clam extension ok?

Ohmboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this maxima for a couple months. It was never a lot more open and extended in the store, but I see pictures of maxima clams much more open and extended...
He's about 11 inches from an older hydra 52 (the one with a plug in controller) and 12 inches from 4 x t5h0
I have good current but have moved them as to not bother his mantle.
My alk and calc were very low but recently brought them up to par (as in a week ago)

Any thoughts? (See imgs)

20231228_100255.jpg 20231228_100302.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would be concerned if I saw my clam like that, mine is extended more than that, and I've had mine 4 years now. With that said, I think I see white shell growth in your pic.

Does it extend more when you cut the flow? It should completely extend with no flow.

Is it able to open, it looks sort of wedged in there, but it could be the picture angle...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks fine. If it is not limited by the rocks and physically is restricted by opening more, then it will open how it wants to regulate light, zoox production, etc.

Looking to the future, that looks like a Tahitan Maxima. If so, read up on them so that you know what to expect.

OP
OP
O

Ohmboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would be concerned if I saw my clam like that, mine is extended more than that, and I've had mine 4 years now. With that said, I think I see white shell growth in your pic.

Does it extend more when you cut the flow? It should completely extend with no flow.

Is it able to open, it looks sort of wedged in there, but it could be the picture angle...
Hmm. The rockwork at the base is not something I considered but maybe it is blocking it. I'll inspect that later tonight.
I have a 6" derasa about 12" lower in the sandbed that is open wide and looking healthy and has been there for about 2 months longer.
I'm going to test my par values soon too so will report back

OP
OP
O

Ohmboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear; my alk was like... 5 dkh, and my calc was 320 ish... for the first 2 months I had this clam. For the first month it was under the 4x t5ho plus a single AI prime 16 about 13" above it.

Maybe these things were causing it to wither?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear; my alk was like... 5 dkh, and my calc was 320 ish... for the first 2 months I had this clam. For the first month it was under the 4x t5ho plus a single AI prime 16 about 13" above it.

Maybe these things were causing it to wither?
Very possible! Clams are calcium and light hogs lol..

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While unhealthy, I disagree with the PMD diagnosis.

A few pics I found on Google of early stage PMD.
DSC_6218.jpg

And if left untreated, advanced PMD.
images (3).jpeg

With PMD, the mantle always gets a crinkly or rippled appearance in addition to being retracted. This clam still has nice rounded mantle lobes and decent extension. A FW dip would likely do more harm than good in this case.

To my eye, this looks like a clam that has slowly gone downhill, likely the result of light starvation and improper parameters, which would also go along with what OP stated. IMO, the best thing you can do is give it as much light as possible along with stable parameters. If you can safely move it, I would also inspect for pyramid snails just to be safe, they will also cause a clam to slowly waste away. Good luck with it!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not see any mention of nitrate and phosphate levels in the waters, the clam (as well as everything else) does rely partially on this as well.

Very nice tank with Stoney corals so I’m not overly concerned.

Just checking.

OP
OP
O

Ohmboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While unhealthy, I disagree with the PMD diagnosis.

A few pics I found on Google of early stage PMD.
DSC_6218.jpg

And if left untreated, advanced PMD.
images (3).jpeg

With PMD, the mantle always gets a crinkly or rippled appearance in addition to being retracted. This clam still has nice rounded mantle lobes and decent extension. A FW dip would likely do more harm than good in this case.

To my eye, this looks like a clam that has slowly gone downhill, likely the result of light starvation and improper parameters, which would also go along with what OP stated. IMO, the best thing you can do is give it as much light as possible along with stable parameters. If you can safely move it, I would also inspect for pyramid snails just to be safe, they will also cause a clam to slowly waste away. Good luck with it!
Thank you. This is what I feel as well. I've got an adorned wrasse in there now, should it kill pyramid snails? I haven't noticed anything on the shell...
I am going to try and test par, and parameters have been brought up in the last week so I'm hoping things will get better!

OP
OP
O

Ohmboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like pinched mantle disease to me: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/diagnosis-and-treatment-of-pinched-mantle-disease-in-giant-clams.753/

I wouldn’t be happy if I saw my clam like thafter

Looks like pinched mantle disease to me: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/diagnosis-and-treatment-of-pinched-mantle-disease-in-giant-clams.753/

I wouldn’t be happy if I saw my clam like that.
After reading the article, I'm not so sure that is it. With this knowledge in mind I will further inspect the clam and see what I can. I do have a derasa 10 inches below this clam that has been there longer and looks just fine.

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. This is what I feel as well. I've got an adorned wrasse in there now, should it kill pyramid snails? I haven't noticed anything on the shell...
I am going to try and test par, and parameters have been brought up in the last week so I'm hoping things will get better!
Wrasses are definitely a great help when it comes to pest control, the only issue with pyrams is that they love to cluster around the byssal opening of the clam, which the wrasse isn't going to be able to access. If you can't easily move the clam, I'd just let it be for now and see if it starts to improve with better conditions. You don't want to stress it out any more unless it's completely necessary.

Plus, considering you have another clam in the tank that is doing well and isn't showing any signs of pyram infestation or disease, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

OP
OP
O

Ohmboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are definitely a great help when it comes to pest control, the only issue with pyrams is that they love to cluster around the byssal opening of the clam, which the wrasse isn't going to be able to access. If you can't easily move the clam, I'd just let it be for now and see if it starts to improve with better conditions. You don't want to stress it out any more unless it's completely necessary.

Plus, considering you have another clam in the tank that is doing well and isn't showing any signs of pyram infestation or disease, I wouldn't be overly concerned.
I inspected and saw no sign of pyramid snails, and it does look like it has a little bit of new growth... I'm going to give it a while and report back.

Attachments

• 20231228_164527.jpg
    20231228_164527.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 35

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. The rockwork at the base is not something I considered but maybe it is blocking it. I'll inspect that later tonight.
I have a 6" derasa about 12" lower in the sandbed that is open wide and looking healthy and has been there for about 2 months longer.
I'm going to test my par values soon too so will report back
The clam will turn itself to adjust for flow.
Keep in mind it could have been in decline before possession.
Did you inspect the clam threads?
It has not yet mounted itself?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back