OP
OP
O

Ohmboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clam will turn itself to adjust for flow.
Keep in mind it could have been in decline before possession.
Did you inspect the clam threads?
It has not yet mounted itself?
It came with a small rock it had attached to. Maybe 1 inch piece of rock. It seems to just stay attached to that. It started to attach to where I set it, but apparently moved a little and just kept itself attached to the piece of rock it came with.

OP
OP
O

Ohmboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing about PMD is that I've had this clam for 2+ months. None of the mantle is rippled. It's just not fully extending and opening.
I have directed flow so it never flaps the mantle around, been that way for a month.
I've had my derasa for 2 months longer than the maxima and they are about 10 inches from eachother and no signs of anything on derasa.
My parameters were very low (5 dkh alk and 320 calc, with likely a little above preferable range phosphates) that whole time until a week ago.
Derasa has very slim white new growth.
Maxima seems to have a tiny bit as well but the rest of the shell looks old.

The very bottom of the maxima seems to have retracted mantle, but it's also the spot where it closes and gets no light...

Considering a fwd but I don't really see any signs of pmd other than it's not fully extended...

OP
OP
O

Ohmboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of the clam from all angles. Obviously extremely retracted from me picking it up.

I do have the harmless red planaria which you will see.

Attachments

• 20231228_181802.mp4
    16.3 MB

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was mine and in your situation, I would get my alk to about 8 DKH, calcium in the 400's, and stop picking it up.
Don't be concerned about your nitrates and phosphates that were low. They are filter feeders and they love light. This is all they need. Just keep your tank stable and throw all the light at them you can give them.

OP
OP
O

Ohmboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up doing the Fw dip last night.
I wasn't sure of it being PMD but after almost 2 months being under better light and going on 2 weeks of better parameters it was not getting better...
After fw dip I put in tank in a feeder net. It gaped open and wasn't looking good when I went to bed, but this morning it looks back to how it did the day before. Thankfully.
Will update as time goes on.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up doing the Fw dip last night.
I wasn't sure of it being PMD but after almost 2 months being under better light and going on 2 weeks of better parameters it was not getting better...
After fw dip I put in tank in a feeder net. It gaped open and wasn't looking good when I went to bed, but this morning it looks back to how it did the day before. Thankfully.
Will update as time goes on.
Good luck. I hope the clam makes it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back