Anyone knows what hermit crab is this?

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this guy killed my snail and took the shell, because I kept seeing him bothering all the snails in my tank whenever he got a chance. One day I came home and found he got this new shell from my favorite snail. It's definitely not a blue leg or red leg, thinking if I should get rid of him.
IMG_20191014_205940_98.jpg

Ethirtysix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious too. I have two hermits that looks just like that one that have doubled in size in the last two months. They always try to go after my turbo snail. I’ll post a picture tomorrow. I’ll was planing on getting rid of both mine soon they are just to big now.

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious too. I have two hermits that looks just like that one that have doubled in size in the last two months. They always try to go after my turbo snail. I’ll post a picture tomorrow. I’ll was planing on getting rid of both mine soon they are just to big now.
I should've put some empty shells in there but still, he killed my snail so I'm planning to get rid of him.

Ethirtysix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs gave my daughter a handful of large Empty shells so I decided I put a few in there for them. Sure enough few weeks later they switch shells and grew way too big they do a great job cleaning up the tank but they will kill any snail in sight just to eat them.

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs gave my daughter a handful of large Empty shells so I decided I put a few in there for them. Sure enough few weeks later they switch shells and grew way too big they do a great job cleaning up the tank but they will kill any snail in sight just to eat them.
Yes, I saw him bothering my snails literally all the time when he has a chance. I might just get rid of it and get more snails.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most hermit crab species will kill snails in order to take their shells. Best to have a supply of empty ones for them as they grow.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a Thin Striped Hermit Crab (Clibanarius vittatus) They are as peaceful as all other Hermit Crabs but bigger so he can be a bit more destructive when crawling over frags. He is mostly peaceful though unless you area snail!!

Empty Shells are a very good idea as they will kill for new shells but this is a big boy so he will leave little snails alone for the most part. So go grab a couple extra big shells and you should have a pretty happy Hermit.

A bit more info here:

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermit killed my biggest nassarius snail last week! I had some shells coming in the mail but he couldnt wait! I'm bummed out. I still have half a million of its babies tho

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I definitely would not get rid of the crab just because it killed a snail, however if it was killing other crabs I would isolate it. Snails are a natural prey for generally all hermit crabs. So you should have expected that when you bought it.

Ethirtysix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I definitely would not get rid of the crab just because it killed a snail, however if it was killing other crabs I would isolate it. Snails are a natural prey for generally all hermit crabs. So you should have expected that when you bought it.
I get where you’re coming from and I agree. I just didn’t realize how big these hermits will get.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back