• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Anyone make and sell this 3D item?

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here make or sell this Radion xr15 G5 custom mount adapter which is mounting on an "AI Prime Flex Mount" (see attached photo)

I have the AI Prime Flex Mount and love it's swivel feature and it's a lot cheaper than the Radion xr 15 G5 original mount.

WDKegge custom xr15 mount adapter.jpg

Quote Reply

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a flex mount so I could figure out the screw end for attachment there. I would need hole spacing and diameter for the screws to attach to the light fixture. Also thickness needed so the screws don't extend too far into the fixture.

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a flex mount so I could figure out the screw end for attachment there. I would need hole spacing and diameter for the screws to attach to the light fixture. Also thickness needed so the screws don't extend too far into the fixture.
I have asked for the xr15 G5 dimensions on different forums and pm'ed @Tim at EcoTech. But got no reply!!
However, I got some information of the screw size. see the following response links. Screw size for those 4 holes M5-0.8x5 (or x10)?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/screws-for-radions.731408/#post-7619374

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-minimalist-light-mount-using-80-20-extrusions.729026/

About the design of the adapter shown. I can't tell there is any bottom support extended from the adapter to xr15 G5. I am sure that the top 2 screws alone, especially placed at the edge of the unit, would not hold up the entire "swivel" unit weight for long. It would be too risky.

I think there should be extended support from the adapter bottom to help hold up some of the xr15 G5 weight.
2020-06-20 11.33.46.jpg

xr15-pro_g5_top-1200x1200 for R2R DIY.jpg
xr15-blue_g5_bottom-1100x1100.jpg

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked for the xr15 G5 dimensions on different forums and pm'ed @Tim at EcoTech. But got no reply!!
However, I got some information of the screw size. see the following response links. Screw size for those 4 holes M5-0.8x5 (or x10)?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/screws-for-radions.731408/#post-7619374

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-minimalist-light-mount-using-80-20-extrusions.729026/

About the design of the adapter shown. I can't tell there is any bottom support extended from the adapter to xr15 G5. I am sure that the top 2 screws alone, especially at the edge of the unit, would not hold up the entire unit weight for long. It would be too risky.

I think there should be extended support from the adapter bottom to hold up xr15 G5.
2020-06-20 11.33.46.jpg

xr15-blue_g5_bottom-1100x1100.jpg
Could have the bracket wrap around the back across the length. Wrapping underneath is probably not necessary and I don't think it would add too much more support as the weight is pulling forward away from the bracket on the top and pushing back towards the bracket on the bottom. It complicates the design quite a bit and the printing and unless it's an nearly an exact fit for the thickness of the fixture it doesn't add anything.

Center to Center on the two screw holes along the back in millimeters. The more accurate the better so as to not have to make them way oversize.

Will have a look at the other threads and see what I can find.

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrapping underneth definitely complicates the 3D printing. But it does release some of the load from those top 2 screws. The moment (physics - tendency to turn force) pulls the unit front downward exerts force on the 2 screws holding the unit. By providing the bottom support will lessen the tearing force.

Lets look at the AI Prime Hydra flex mount and how they design the bracket the hold the Hydra 26. At the Youtube clip 6:45/8:45 you can clearly see how the top part serves as grabbing the unit while the bottom supports (countering the moment force) the load.

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrapping underneth definitely complicates the 3D printing. But it does release some of the load from those top 2 screws. The moment (physics - tendency to turn force) pulls the unit front downward exerts force on the 2 screws holding the unit. By providing the bottom support will lessen the tearing force.

Lets look at the AI Prime Hydra flex mount and how they design the bracket the hold the Hydra 26. At the Youtube clip 6:45/8:45 you can clearly see how the top part serves as grabbing the unit while the bottom supports (countering the moment force) the load.

Would need exact thickness of the unit too then to put some extensions on the underside.

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep asking for dimensions from the forum since I haven't had xr15 G5 yet. There are tons of Radion xr15 G4/5 users on R2R. Hope someone will help us. Keep looking ;)

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M5 .8 screws
Technical specs say it's 1.5" top to bottom. So need spacing for screw centers between the two back screws and distance from screw center to back lip.

Last edited:

pitvi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this topic, i'm going to get two XR15's für my two nanos, and i dont like the available mounts, they look ugly and are super expensive :D.
Where is the picture from, it looks so much better !

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this topic, i'm going to get two XR15's für my two nanos, and i dont like the available mounts, they look ugly and are super expensive :D.
Where is the picture from, it looks so much better !
I don't have the dimensions on the screw spacing. Would be nice to confirm they are M5 .8 screws and the fixture is 1.5" thick.

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the dimensions on the screw spacing. Would be nice to confirm they are M5 .8 screws and the fixture is 1.5" thick.
I had responded about the size and spacing somewhere. Well, anyway,
1. Screw size - M5x8
2. xr15 G5 total Thickness - 37mm (eye balled measured; I don't have measuring tool)
3. A or B distance - 128mm (based on my measurement)

Since no one would make the 3D mount adapter that I wanted, I made my own wall mount.
click link for more wall mount details.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-diy-wall-mount-for-radion-xr15-g5.735077/#post-7659800
1584022-36740f13ff3cb83274961a3510dfbaa3.jpg
1593566308991.jpeg

Hope this info helpful. Have fun.

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had responded about the size and spacing somewhere. Well, anyway,
1. Screw size - M5x8
2. A or B distance - 128mm (based on my measurement)

Since no one would make the 3D mount adapted that I wanted, I made my own wall mount.
click link for more wall mount details.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-diy-wall-mount-for-radion-xr15-g5.735077/#post-7659800
1584022-36740f13ff3cb83274961a3510dfbaa3.jpg

Hope this info helpful. Have fun.
Thanks! Sorry I must have missed the info. I will tinker around with a design for the flex arm sometime.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screws and washer used for mounting; with washer they fit perfectly!
Thanks! I am making the adapter 10mm thick so I was thinking a 16mm long screw would give enough threads out the bottom to hold securely. I have a couple questions though if anyone can answer. I have seen 128mm spacing center to center on the screws and 126mm. Would be great to get confirmation either way (yellow line in photo). Also if anyone is able to confirm the distance from the screw center to the back vertical edge of the light, I would appreciate the measurement (red line).
xr15.jpg

Prototype design below.
IMG_4922[1].JPG

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great.

I firm on the 128mm center-to-center. Ok, I uninstalled the unit and took some photos, you judge for yourself. Note about the last 2 photos, "visually" it may seem extrude 1mm on the photos. In fact, it lined up correctly with the curve edge of the unit.

Total thickness 36mm
IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Haacheew! I agree 128 across! Looks like 25 on the other measurement. I went with 1" which will work. I also put a slight chamfer on the underside. Looks like the threads are in that little cone shaped piece, so I may have to tweak either the thickness of the bracket or the screw length.. or both.

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

If you make the mount adapter work on Radion XR 15 Pro with AI Prime Flex mount (or goose neck), you will make some very decent income because you will have a lot of potential buyers.

Radion XR 15 "fixed" tank mount costs over $100 vs. AI Prime Flex "swivel" mount under $30. In addition, the AI Prime Flex mount features the greatest benefit (value) -- swiveling that makes tank cleaning, reefscaping, photo taking invaluable. GL

pitvi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

If you make the mount adapter work on Radion XR 15 Pro with AI Prime Flex mount (or goose neck), you will make some very decent income because you will have a lot of potential buyers.

Radion XR 15 "fixed" tank mount costs over $100 vs. AI Prime Flex "swivel" mount under $30. In addition, the AI Prime Flex mount features the greatest benefit (value) -- swiveling that makes tank cleaning, reefscaping, photo taking invaluable. GL
and you forgot the most important; it does not look f* ugly :D

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back