Anyone notice copper in their NSW mix

Tiatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone notice copper in their NSW mix. Bought a hanna copper HR for my QT tank so I decided to check my NSW for curiosity. I’m reading .07-.09 ppm copper on three different buckets of Tropic Marin pro reef salt. Tested my brute trash can that has 4 year old live rock cooking from my old 220 reef tank and that’s reading .25ppm copper? Here’s a pic of my old reef tank, could never keep Euphyllia alive, wonder if this was the cause.

160FFBEE-323C-4696-AEA0-A4D3E5046AB1.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Tiatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna checker is not very reliable at its low end. Folks have gotten similar result to yours and seen none by ICP.
Thanks Randy, the reason why I’m asking is because I got Miracles to build me a new tank ( the 220 started flexing so had to tear it down) and I’m not sure if I want to use the old rock because of the copper levels. Started running Cuprisorb in the brute trash can for piece of mind. Pic of the new tank, can’t wait to set it up, silicone still drying.

Attachments

• IMG_3521.jpeg
    IMG_3521.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3520.jpeg
    IMG_3520.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 24

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a reasonable concern. To answer it, I’d send a sample off for icp, preferably to Oceamo. Some companies do a poor job with copper.I’d also use your kit on that same sample for comparison.

OP
OP
T

Tiatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a reasonable concern. To answer it, I’d send a sample off for icp, preferably to Oceamo. Some companies do a poor job with copper.I’d also use your kit on that same sample for comparison.
Sorry for the delayed response, what’s your thoughts on the triton-icp? My tank read 0 on both tests for Cu. Here’s the full story, the tank you see in the pic was a fowlr that I dosed a couple times with Cupramine. Eventually I turned into a full blown reef with the same rock as you can see, ran for a few years before I had to tear it down. Is it possible that the Cu is only releasing now in the brute trash can?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delayed response, what’s your thoughts on the triton-icp? My tank read 0 on both tests for Cu. Here’s the full story, the tank you see in the pic was a fowlr that I dosed a couple times with Cupramine. Eventually I turned into a full blown reef with the same rock as you can see, ran for a few years before I had to tear it down. Is it possible that the Cu is only releasing now in the brute trash can?

That seems very unlikely unless you added acid to the water in the Brute.

Triton just has a higher detection limit (1.2 ug/L last they posted it several years ago) than Oceamo, but is adequate to know the water is safe (NSW ~ 0.4 ug/L). If you had a Triton ICP or two on the same rock in a reef tank after the exposure to cupramine and saw none, then I personally would not bother pursuing it further,.

OP
OP
T

Tiatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems very unlikely unless you added acid to the water in the Brute.

Triton just has a higher detection limit (1.2 ug/L last they posted it several years ago) than Oceamo, but is adequate to know the water is safe (NSW ~ 0.4 ug/L). If you had a Triton ICP or two on the same rock in a reef tank after the exposure to cupramine and saw none, then I personally would not bother pursuing it further,.
Great, thanks so much.

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lil 10g nano with nems, zoas, pistol shrimp w goby, coral banded shrimp, pods, cucs, brittenstars, asternias, 2 b&w clowns has Cu reading on my Hanna at .06. Running reef crystals. Tanks is up about 3 years now.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lil 10g nano with nems, zoas, pistol shrimp w goby, coral banded shrimp, pods, cucs, brittenstars, asternias, 2 b&w clowns has Cu reading on my Hanna at .06. Running reef crystals. Tanks is up about 3 years now.

Ignore it if you did not add copper for medication purposes. it's likely an inaccurate reading.

OP
OP
T

Tiatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you bought the rock used and think the previous owner may have used copper just run cuprisorb for a week or so if you’re concerned about it. Seachem Cuprisorb is exhausted when the beads turn black so you can use it till the copper comes down then put it in a ziplock bag for later use as it lasts a long time. Corals need a bit of copper so don’t over do it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back