anyone replaced their stock pumps with the new maxijet 1200 pro in their jbj 28 gal

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my stock pumps shot water up the cord and into my wave make. this caused the wave maker to short out. I have a new wave maker on order and need to replace the pump. I ordered the new maxijet 1200 pro. However, I wanted to know if anyone has used them as a utility pump with a wave maker yet.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I have 2 of the new ones in my back chambers. They work great, albeit a bit noisy.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes both are 1200's. I don't use the stock returns though, I simply run the returns over the top of the separating wall. I did this because when I bought the tank it didn't have any plumbing with it at all, so I just decided to use what I had :)

OP
OP
geckoman2003

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes both are 1200's. I don't use the stock returns though, I simply run the returns over the top of the separating wall. I did this because when I bought the tank it didn't have any plumbing with it at all, so I just decided to use what I had :)

Can you post a photo of your tanks plumbing. Did you change the overflow.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get pics because the tank is in a corner and I cant get the camera behind it. It is basically the pumps sitting in their stock location with tubing leading to locline returns. HTH

manimtheman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have replaced my stock with the maxi jet 1200's on a wave maker! i have it alterating every 75 seconds. also have a aqeoun 750 gph inside to make sure of no dead spots! some time when the way maker switches is kinda loud sometimes silent! my tape up your tubes that conntect to you return heads cause then tend to come loose and you will have water shooting in the air! happened today! for the first time scared the crap outta me! lost about 4 cups of water and had no saltwarter avalible! almost the demise of my tank! imagine if i hadnt been home! i would have but emptyed all by an inch of water in my tank! $1000 plus would have been lost in corals..... plan for faliure

OP
OP
geckoman2003

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced one of the stock pumps last week with the 1200. Wow does this sucker pump. I works quite well with the wave maker, but is a little loud. So sometime in the near future I'll be replacing the second pump.

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run (2) 1200's on the stock wavemaker cycling at 2 minutes. I also have a Hydor 425 blowing across. I definitely have some water moving. For the most part, the pumps are relatively quiet, but occassionally, they will wrack when the wavemaker kicks in, but nothing serious.

Mac

Betroc2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have micro bubbles coming from one of my pumps. I think the tubing that came with the used tank is a little bit short. Might be sucking air some where? Maniamtheman said something about taping something up? What kind of tape could you use in a tank that will stick in salt water and not hurt the critters? Or, did I just misunderstand something, LOL.

CubanPete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Betroc...let me know if you solve that problem. I have some bubbles, a bit, and have for a couple weeks. Can't figure it out...

Betroc2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it is a good thing to do or not, but I cut a 2" piece of some filter spong ( the large hole kind) and placed it under the pump to raise it up a little so the tubing will fit tighter. It has cut down on the bubbles dramaticly. Good luck with yours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back