Anyone Running a non-profit? Please discuss

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 18, 2019
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
8,528
Location
Myrtle Beach
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Title says it. all, please spare us the humility and do tell about your work.
I’m doing one, but I want to talk to you and hear about the good work us fish people do
 
Pardon, if this a taboo topic? No offense meant...just thinking about positive things in a world of negative news and especially during a time many of us are home
edit add: I could see a possible TOS misuse so I’d avoid actual names et
 
Last edited:
My wife and I have been looking into it after our daughter passed. Talking with attorneys. Our goals are pretty minimal - support an already existing group in a new way. One challenge is my wife and I have *slightly* different visions for it. Same mission, different methods. The setup seems... not terribly challenging, aside from the legalese, which is what you hire an attorney for :) Maintaining it seems more challenging - we need an all volunteer board to make it viable. Have an accounting friend willing to do the initial legwork there. In reality we are probably 2 years out. Which seems like forever right now. I find the planning of it all to be therapeutic. My wife says she just wants to “hit the fast-forward.” C’est la vie
 
first God Bless and condolences, I could see the partnership being potentially therapeutic.... but yes it takes even more planning in some respects than a for profit organization. Especially the legal, money and accounting challenges.
I learned this the hard way and it cost me time and wasted money and effort
 
Not that I have the experience to help you solve it, but can I ask what happened?
 
Not that I have the experience to help you solve it, but can I ask what happened?
wow, the list is so long, forgive me if it’s short for now because it’s a very worthy discussion about planning and knowing laws liabilities and regulations before jumping in. Then there is the cyber side like protecting domain names, site design and handling money. Simple on the surface, real work in reality and costly in time and money to the ignorant.
I used to be a net admin in 2002 and may as well have been Gilligan aboard the starship Enterprise
Collecting assorted forms of donations/money and turning it into a tangible positive easy in concept, time and work in practice.
I am glossing over details on purpose
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new