Anyone Running Sump/Refugium without gravity flow?

montethemoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to the hobby and have a 65 gallon sumpless system set up (undrilled tank). I have not run into any problems yet, but would like to setup a system with a refugium/sump area. I want to continue keeping things simple, and wanted to know if anyone is running their refugium simply attached by a couple of pvc connections with gate valves to another tank for a refugium with some type of a mesh filter between that would protect the refugium from fish transfering over, but allow transfer of water obviously, but also smaller creatures such as pods, etc...? I know I would be losing the benefit of surface skimming and efficiency of pumping water directly through reactors...but would appreciate any other input on this idea especially if you have tried such a setup. Thanks.

RefugiumSetup.jpg

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with balzin nano that looks like a ton of work, if you dont have sump space why dont you just use like a 5 gallon bucket with two return pumps and two drains and call it a day. everyone has room for another 5 gallon bucket. Were you planning of drilling the sides of the tank and making like a hampster trail connecting them?

OP
OP
M

montethemoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really trying to minimize the work, I just want a simple design. I would also like to avoid a hang on overflow if at all possible just to minimize potential overflow problems. Yes, basically like you described drill the sides connect two tanks and have a dual display with one tank being a mixed reef and the other being a refugium, and hiding the middle sections.

Last edited:

Steven Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be much easier to have the new refugium drilled and then mounted slightly higher than the existing display. That way you could just pump some water from the display up to the refugium and then gravity feed back.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run an overflow box on my tank for 2 years. Never once has it overflowed. Where I live I get power flickers at least once a month and nothing has ever happened. Plus I turn my pumps off every night to feed. Drilling two holes in the side pane of any "smaller" tank that are of decent size hole to make it work right would be really scary in my opinion.

OP
OP
M

montethemoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you I have heard of many people say they have been running overflow boxes for years without problems, but on the other hand I have also heard many horror stories. Could I ask what brand of overflow you run or if it is a DIY? A recommendation would be nice. Also I was planning on starting from scratch, I was planning on drilling two 40Breeders and not using my current tank as part of the setup.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you I have heard of many people say they have been running overflow boxes for years without problems, but on the other hand I have also heard many horror stories. Could I ask what brand of overflow you run or if it is a DIY? A recommendation would be nice. Also I was planning on starting from scratch, I was planning on drilling two 40Breeders and not using my current tank as part of the setup.

If your planing on starting over anyway why not just build a stand that the other 40b can sit in the bottom under the display. Will take up less room this way and only need one return pump.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to incorporate the refugium into the display.

Are you wanting to make a display refuge with macro algae other then cheato? If so that would be cool but remember the biggest part as to why people run refuges besides nutrient export, reverse light schedule for PH levels. If you wanted to make a true refuge then the tanks will need two different lights and a way to stop bleed over. Plus most macros don't use blue our actinic lights more toward the 10k spectrum. Now the display macro tanks look awesome but in the same room next to each other might be tricky to pull off.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that is the case then i would build a taller stand say 36" tall and then leave a open front stand so that the refuge in the bottom can be seen as well. like mentioned above if they are right next to eachother your goign to get light dump over, and a refuge tank uses a totally different spectrum then your reef tank. but if your goign fish only i guess it woudlnt make a difference. you could set them right next to each other and possibly find one light unit that could sit over both and light both.

OP
OP
M

montethemoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Yes, I was hoping for a mix of macro algae other than cheato, with perhaps some mangroves. I have a 10K 150W metal halide as well as a 10K 65 W powercompact I could use for the refugium lighting. I purchased two 15k 30w led pendants for the display, but keeping the lights from bleeding over might be kind of tricky as you suggested especially on a reverse cycle, I will have to think about some type of divider and/or hood design.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back