Anyone seen bad hitchhikers from reputable companies?

Have you receive a coral with pest from a reputable coral store?

• Total voters

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious here on others experience when buying corals from reputable coral companies. I’ve always dipped my corals; but at the same time, what risk is there really if you are buying from reputable sources.

Places like WWC, TopShelf, AquaSD, Cherry Corals, etc would quickly be out of business if they were shipping corals with bugs.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious here on others experience when buying corals from reputable coral companies. I’ve always dipped my corals; but at the same time, what risk is there really if you are buying from reputable sources.

Places like WWC, TopShelf, AquaSD, Cherry Corals, etc would quickly be out of business if they were shipping corals with bugs.
Yes. Ive bought from all listed from except AquaSD.

Always dip and remove the frag plug.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Ive bought from all listed from except AquaSD.

Always dip and remove the frag plug.
Do you dip right away or wait? I know some companies, I believe WWC is one, that tell you to wait 24 hours before dipping (guess another good reason to have a QT tank if possible) so to reduce extra stress on shipped corals.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to add that what you or I define as a pest, maybe different from what the vendor considers a pest.
Yea, I’m more referring to pest that actually eat your corals. To be far, I’m honestly more worried of introducing some new algae or bacteria to my tank…which is why I think replacing the frag plugs might honestly be more important then even dipping.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most reputable vendors will tell you they dip everything and will tell you that you should too. The understanding is that it's when you're going to get a pest, not if. I've purchased from reputable vendors and gotten Aiptasia, Bristle Worms, Bryopsis, Turf Algae, Bubble Algae, and even Montipora Eating Nudibranches. With that said, I would buy from almost every one of them again without any qualms.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dip right away or wait? I know some companies, I believe WWC is one, that tell you to wait 24 hours before dipping (guess another good reason to have a QT tank if possible) so to reduce extra stress on shipped corals.
This is my personal opinion and I know it's at odds with what vendors say.

I always dip right away - after acclimation and removing the plug. After dipping, I rinse and mount it to a new plug.

My current tank has over 40 corals that have been added using the above process and zero have died that can be attributed to the process above.

Most vendors do not want you to remove the plug.

I have zero aphasia or other pests in my tank. My rule, is when in doubt about a pest, cut it off. A little pest can multiply and cost you more than the small amount you might be cutting off.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I’m more referring to pest that actually eat your corals. To be far, I’m honestly more worried of introducing some new algae or bacteria to my tank…which is why I think replacing the frag plugs might honestly be more important then even dipping.
algae is a lot harder to control, i use a stainless steel brush and hydrogen peroxide but that is usually a lot harder on the coral than dipping and removing the plug. I hate getting corals with algae on the skeleton.

I don't worry about bacteria because I have a strong bacterial biome in my tank.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One thing I will say, please don't mention vendors by name if you've had an issue with them, especially if they're sponsors on here. If you have a bad experience with a specific vendor it's usually best to give Feedback.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I will say, please don't mention vendors by name if you've had an issue with them, especially if they're sponsors on here. If you have a bad experience with a specific vendor it's usually best to give Feedback.
Interesting, Im in the opposite camp. The vendor feedback here has very little weight and changes aren't likely to happen unless a broader group raises an issue. It can be hard for vendors to understand how broad the issue actually is. Being a sponsor doesn't mean they should get special treatment with regards to user feedback.

That's just my opinion obviously.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have gotten hitchhikers from all the vendors you listed. You will have to define pests though.

Also keep in mind what dip kills and doesn't kill. A lot of things people don't want in their tank can't be killed by dip. For example, aiptasia and algae will survive any dip. Flatworm eggs usually survive dips. Vemetaid snails will survive an apocalypse

"Bugs" can be good. Pods, snails, brittle starfish, and even bristle worm can be good for your tank.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interesting, Im in the opposite camp. The vendor feedback here has very little weight and changes aren't likely to happen unless a broader group raises an issue. It can be hard for vendors to understand how broad the issue actually is. Being a sponsor doesn't mean they should get special treatment with regards to user feedback.

That's just my opinion obviously.
I'm not saying give them special treatment I just know that frequently these types of threads turn into vendor bashing which usually ends up getting threads closed for violating TOS.

I do understand where you're coming from, I'm just saying that we have to be careful not to bash vendors.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I voted no because I get all my corals from my LFS and they are bloody picky, ie: typically a 3-6 month quarantine process over several stages.
if only every vendor/lfs was like this..

Most reputable vendors will tell you they dip everything and will tell you that you should too. The understanding is that it's when you're going to get a pest, not if. I've purchased from reputable vendors and gotten Aiptasia, Bristle Worms, Bryopsis, Turf Algae, Bubble Algae. With that said, I would buy from almost every one of them again without any qualms.

same here.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In answer to the original post, I have both dipped and not dipped. I have QTed and not QTed. I did a single dip and a two week QT from one reputable vendor. About a week after I put the corals in my tank I started noticing my Montis going downhill. A few days later I started seeing Monti Eating Nudibranches after lights out.

If you're going to dip and QT, make sure you give it time to be effective. Some pests require multiple treatments spaced out over time to work properly.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying give them special treatment I just know that frequently these types of threads turn into vendor bashing which usually ends up getting threads closed for violating TOS.

I do understand where you're coming from, I'm just saying that we have to be careful not to bash vendors.
Agreed, all feedback must be civil and respectful.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should also consider TCK. They have been some of the cleanest corals I've gotten in months. Still a bristle worm and vermatild snail but cleaner than the others you listed.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reputable vendors will tell you they dip everything and will tell you that you should too. The understanding is that it's when you're going to get a pest, not if. I've purchased from reputable vendors and gotten Aiptasia, Bristle Worms, Bryopsis, Turf Algae, Bubble Algae, and even Montipora Eating Nudibranches. With that said, I would buy from almost every one of them again without any qualms.
I agree that these pests are unfortunately part of the reality (at least for now) and wouldn't stop me from ordering from these vendors. I will say that I've avoided all of those with my approach and OCD inspection. It is possible to avoid them, but i hope we reach a point where we don't need to worry about them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i think SBB is the only one pre-dipping corals before shipping them.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree that these pests are unfortunately part of the reality (at least for now) and wouldn't stop me from ordering from these vendors. I will say that I've avoided all of those with my approach and OCD inspection. It is possible to avoid them, but i hope we reach a point where we don't need to worry about them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i think SBB is the only one pre-dipping corals before shipping them.
Nope! I've had two or three tell me they predip before shipping. I received a torch with flatworms and BJD from one and the Monti Eating Nudibranches from another.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have gotten hitchhikers from all the vendors you listed. You will have to define pests though.

Also keep in mind what dip kills and doesn't kill. A lot of things people don't want in their tank can't be killed by dip. For example, aiptasia and algae will survive any dip. Flatworm eggs usually survive dips. Vemetaid snails will survive an apocalypse

"Bugs" can be good. Pods, snails, brittle starfish, and even bristle worm can be good for your tank.

IMO, "bugs", snails, pods, starfish, bristleworms, etc are cheap. I suggest removing anything that comes with corals and intentionally introducing species that you know what they are and that you want. There are some great vendors here for them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back