Anyone set up a saltwater pond?

littlefoxx

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 25, 2022
Messages
12,086
Reaction score
12,240
Location
Denver
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So needing to move temporarily. Anyone used something like this to set up a tank for a few months until I can set my tank back up?

IMG_3216.png
 
You've seen @Reefering1's pictures, right? He's got a pond going.
 
I think what you're looking at is going to be quite a bit bigger than what his setup is.

How are you going to secure it for the eels?
 
I normally see Rubbermaid stock tanks being used as the gold standard for temporary marine livestock holding, though I don’t see any reason why one of these liner and frame containers wouldn’t work!

The primary concerns would be a tear or puncture in the tarp-like material, or damage/failure of a framing component! (You wouldn’t be able to add bulkheads to this container to run a sump either, but that’s secondary!)

— it’s definitely an attractive option for the price! Does the waterproof tarp-like sheet have a listed thickness, or material(s) of composition?
 
I think what you're looking at is going to be quite a bit bigger than what his setup is.

How are you going to secure it for the eels?
Im going to be fitting it with a glass top or acrylic panels and clip them down
 
I normally see Rubbermaid stock tanks being used as the gold standard for temporary marine livestock holding, though I don’t see any reason why one of these liner and frame containers wouldn’t work!

The primary concerns would be a tear or puncture in the tarp-like material, or damage/failure of a framing component! (You wouldn’t be able to add bulkheads to this container to run a sump either, but that’s secondary!)

— it’s definitely an attractive option for the price! Does the waterproof tarp-like sheet have a listed thickness, or material(s) of composition?
This is what the description says
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3218.png
    IMG_3218.png
    304.6 KB · Views: 64
This is what the description says

Ah! 2.1mm (~3/32”) thick, nearly 100mil! That should work well at only 2ft of water column!

It will need equal support all the way around from the frame to distribute the load evenly, and it should probably be filled on top of a cardboard pad or even a tarp, just something to protect it from anything tiny and sharp on/in the floor!
 
Lol no I dont, thats the first one I clicked on. That same maker has smaller sizes, I was more wondering if the set up would work in general
Technically, yes it would work. But i would be too scared of picturing something soft like that. I can see myself walking up to it and my big toe nail bumps it and it tears open. Boom hundreds of gallons spilled in my house in seconds... 😬
 
What does your pond look like?? I have no idea why it quoted you so many times either lol
Technically, yes it would work. But i would be too scared of picturing something soft like that. I can see myself walking up to it and my big toe nail bumps it and it tears open. Boom hundreds of gallons spilled in my house in seconds... 😬
Technically, yes it would work. But i would be too scared of picturing something soft like that. I can see myself walking up to it and my big toe nail bumps it and it tears open. Boom hundreds of gallons spilled in my house in seconds... 😬
Technically, yes it would work. But i would be too scared of picturing something soft like that. I can see myself walking up to it and my big toe nail bumps it and it tears open. Boom hundreds of gallons spilled in my house in seconds... 😬
 
Also how do you do filtration and stuff? The idea is to make it temporary for a few months (6 months max is my goal) until I can get into a place and set my tank back up
 
Cool! So for the overflow pipe and the return pipe, can I mount them on the tank vs drilling??
You can, just make sure it maintains prime.
 
You can, just make sure it maintains prime.
Gotcha! Thank you this has given me all good ideas. Do you think if I spilt the fish into 2 150 gallon tubs vs a 260 gallon tub and them all in one? Which do you think is easier??
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new