Anyone use Biohome?

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone used Biohome bio media?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just heard about siporax biomedia from sera. It’s sintered glass so it’s chemically inert and cant leach anything, whereas people constantly complain about aluminum from marine pure blocks leaching over time as reported by ICP

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just heard about siporax biomedia from sera. It’s sintered glass so it’s chemically inert and cant leach anything, whereas people constantly complain about aluminum from marine pure blocks leaching over time as reported by ICP

sera...dont they make pond stuff?

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for Pond Matrix by water garden oasis (sea chem)

I use it because of wanting less live rock in display. Also offers portability for other uses as well

OP, why do you want to run it?

because I need bio media for a brackish tank

MrSalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I'm using the Biohome Ultimate Marine. Switched from Seachem matrix. Biohome is sintered glass. It looks like dried clay but when you are moving it around you can tell it's glass by the sound. They claim it can reduce nitrates. I'm trying to determine if anyone has seen evidence of that.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
supposedly the ultimate marine version adds trace elements to your tank...woo hoo

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using 5lbs of Biohome Ultimate Marine and have seen nothing change in my tank. everything i test for is the same. I only added it after doing a rip clean on the tank and removing all the sand.

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too using the ultimate marine variant, but only started to cycle the tank so no real advice here. I used it cause my instructions told me to put in some extra filter media if I didn't use real life rock and heard good things about Biohome.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using 5lbs of Biohome Ultimate Marine and have seen nothing change in my tank. everything i test for is the same. I only added it after doing a rip clean on the tank and removing all the sand.
any pics of the tank ? how bout nitrate levels ?

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for using ultimate marine biohome. I use it and like it. Just more surface area. Not sure I've noticed any trace element changes...but I also don't test for them. I've used biohome in FW tanks also. Overall a good bio media, dense and doesn't crumble ime.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any pics of the tank ? how bout nitrate levels ?
20171006_160625.jpg before 20190803_131139.jpg after
The first picture is from several years ago. I then had an extinction level event where my PH and alk had a huge swing and a brook outbreak. I lost several fish and about half my corals. I then did a ripclean and the second picture is right after that, about a year ago. Nitrate levels are 6-7 ppm.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were you using the biohome in the 1st pic . Adamd76?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why either one? Reef tanks do fine without biomedia.
I generally agree with this about 99% of the time.

The first experience that made me think otherwise was running frag tanks at the LFS with no rock and sand. I had weird bacterial blooms all of the time until it hit me that there was no surface area. After adding some ceramic media they finally calmed down. I think in tanks with live rock and sand there is just simply no need for biomedia however with more and more people going bare bottom and using non porous mined rock I understand why some see bio media as helpful.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back