Anyone use the mirror trick for aggressive tang/clownfish?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a flame angel on Thursday and had him on isolation and spot fed him for all days he was in there so he didn’t miss a meal.

Today I decided to let him out since I didn’t see any aggression on the days he was in there and now my yellow tang and ocellaris clownfish won’t stop chasing after him but they don’t actually get to nip him, will he be okay or should I try anything to take away the attention from the flame? I’ve heard the mirror trick usually works but not sure how to do it. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the yellow tang stopped harassing the flame after few days. Others have had success re-aquascaping the rocks to let everyone re-establish territory.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish and tangs completely ignore my dwarf angelfish maybe I lucked out). I think your flame should be fine (my midnight and coral beauty chased each other around for a few days until they worked things out). I believe if you just tape a flat mirror to the side of the tank that may distract the other fish.

And yeah, per @Super Fly - move a few rocks around and the fish will spend days obsessing and reacquainting themselves...

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish and tangs completely ignore my dwarf angelfish maybe I lucked out). I think your flame should be fine (my midnight and coral beauty chased each other around for a few days until they worked things out). I believe if you just tape a flat mirror to the side of the tank that may distract the other fish.

And yeah, per @Super Fly - move a few rocks around and the fish will spend days acquainting themselves...
Seems to have done the deal for now… how long would you leave the mirror up for?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    40.1 MB
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the yellow tang stopped harassing the flame after few days. Others have had success re-aquascaping the rocks to let everyone re-establish territory.
I’ve tried that on Sunday but the female clownfish is very stubborn and won’t stop chasing the new little guy. Mirror is up and doing its thing now, hopefully I don’t have to leave it up for much

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried it just to see what it would do (i dont have much agression) all that i got out of it is my pufferfish will sorta puff up and flare on queue

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the mirror trick, just take a small mirror (you can get one that is not glass based on the internet) and affix it to the glass on the tank. I used two (one on both ends). The aggressor fish will see his reflection in the mirror and usually believe that it is a rival. The apparent rival will distract them and hopefully divide their attention from the fish they want to victimize. I had one harassed fish that used the mirror as a safe spot. The aggressor fish was rather intimidated by his own reflection.

By the way, continued harassing even without physical damage can stress a fish enough to cause it to die.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it at least 72 hours. It can sometimes take weeks for aggro to subside.
I’ll leave it up for 4 days, is just weird cause they never acted territorial or aggressive towards any other fish ever. I thought the acclimation box method was going to prevent it but I guess since the flame angel fights back it just keeps getting more aggression

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the mirror trick, just take a small mirror (you can get one that is not glass based on the internet) and affix it to the glass on the tank. I used two (one on both ends). The aggressor fish will see his reflection in the mirror and usually believe that it is a rival. The apparent rival will distract them and hopefully divide their attention from the fish they want to victimize. I had one harassed fish that used the mirror as a safe spot. The aggressor fish was rather intimidated by his own reflection.

By the way, continued harassing even without physical damage can stress a fish enough to cause it to die.
Yeah that’s why I’m worried about the angelfish, even though he tries to fight back and protect themselves they just gang up on the poor new guy but hopefully this will do the trick

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll leave it up for 4 days, is just weird cause they never acted territorial or aggressive towards any other fish ever. I thought the acclimation box method was going to prevent it but I guess since the flame angel fights back it just keeps getting more aggression
It doesn't shock me. I can't add a angel that's smaller than my female Tomato clown, she will just harass it to death. I managed to lose a Rusty & Flame from previous attempts. Added a much larger BiColor and it worked out. Downside is that the BiColor is a total bully to some smaller fish now.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the clownfish an anemone. Once they figure out how to home it they'll lose any and all interest in everything else...
Funny you mentioned that, I added to RBTA’s from my bigger tank and they’ve completely ignored them for the past year… I was able to get the designer clownfish in them in the first day but these god dang ocellaris keep ignoring the nems

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the clownfish an anemone. Once they figure out how to home it they'll lose any and all interest in everything else...
That worked in my case (for the most part). She still generally harasses and is aggro to anyone approaching 'her' nem. The paired male usually isn't tolerated either. Again, I know it's a Tomato clown, they are aggro just because.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't shock me. I can't add a angel that's smaller than my female Tomato clown, she will just harass it to death. I managed to lose a Rusty & Flame from previous attempts. Added a much larger BiColor and it worked out. Downside is that the BiColor is a total bully to some smaller fish now.
I think that’s mainly why I stayed away from tomato clowns.. too god dang aggressive, hopefully this little guy makes it. They haven’t been cheap recently to get another

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s mainly why I stayed away from tomato clowns.. too god dang aggressive, hopefully this little guy makes it. They haven’t been cheap recently to get another
Eh, I've never been a designer clown guy and I wanted to buck the trend from a occellaris or percula clown this time around. I previously kept a pair of maroon's, they are the harbringer of evil.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully this little guy makes it. They haven’t been cheap recently to get another
I'm rooting for your little guy! As long as you have some nooks and crannies for him to hide out in that should help.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm rooting for your little guy! As long as you have some nooks and crannies for him to hide out in that should help.
Most of the Aqua-scape is arches and filled with hiding spots. He didn’t eat last night from being tormented too much but luckily he’s eating today and hiding less

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, I've never been a designer clown guy and I wanted to buck the trend from a occellaris or percula clown this time around. I previously kept a pair of maroon's, they are the harbringer of evil.
I wasn’t until I saw a black storm clown, instantly fell in love. I can only imagine what a mess that must’ve been, when I first introduced a Picasso clown with the black storm he was surely getting a good beating until he gave in and let her dominate him

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 54 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back