Anyone using a DIY reagent for KH Guardian ?

I don't know how they claim to detect it, but I didn't see mention of viscosity. Luminosity will only work if they add an ingredient for that purpose.
I had to adjust my mix from 5ml to 6ml. The system read it as deluded. Bc it was to weak. Literally said deluded.
 
I had to adjust my mix from 5ml to 6ml. The system read it as deluded. Bc it was to weak. Literally said deluded.

Not sure how that quote became mine since it doesn’t seem to be something I claimed, but I will note that muriatic acid varies in potency, so no fixed number is always correct.
 
So where did we land?

Anyone try the diy reagent? I have an older unit that I upgraded firmware recently.
 
So where did we land?

Anyone try the diy reagent? I have an older unit that I upgraded firmware recently.
I am using it without issue.
 
my friends locked up after recent firmware upgrade. He had been using DIY reagent for 2 years. This is such a greedy move by this company. I just bought one of these and wouldn't have if I had known this would be an issue.
 
Sorry to resurrect this thread.

So I have an option to buy an older model KHG that probably hasnt gone through firmware upgrades.

or buy the newer one and risk it getting locked using DIY reagents.

Is anyone using the KHG pros with DIY reagents successfully?

Thanks
 
Sorry to resurrect this thread.

So I have an option to buy an older model KHG that probably hasnt gone through firmware upgrades.

or buy the newer one and risk it getting locked using DIY reagents.

Is anyone using the KHG pros with DIY reagents successfully?

Thanks
I don't know the answer to your question, but while we're discussing it...

Did anyone determine how the KHG supposedly determines that the reagent is not OEM?

I don't see how it could know unless the reagent was incorrectly diluted or the OEM has added some color dye to the reagent like GHL do.
 
I don't know the answer to your question, but while we're discussing it...

Did anyone determine how the KHG supposedly determines that the reagent is not OEM?

I don't see how it could know unless the reagent was incorrectly diluted or the OEM has added some color dye to the reagent like GHL do.

Ive read through other forums and the facebook group that they have a dye in it, but arent sure if that is whats causing the DIY reagents to lock up the device.

Need some more feed back from others.
 
I don't know the answer to your question, but while we're discussing it...

Did anyone determine how the KHG supposedly determines that the reagent is not OEM?

I don't see how it could know unless the reagent was incorrectly diluted or the OEM has added some color dye to the reagent like GHL do.
I don’t own KHG, and I’m not sure what processtor it uses internally - but I might be able to find it out if anyone is willing to share the firmware with me.

I’ve read about this locking thing when I was looking for a tester for myself and it sounds ridiculous that no one has beaten it yet.

So if I can either find you a lead or patch that thing altogether It’ll both be fun for me and useful for you.

Heads up though, I’m not even sure if I’m familiar with the architecture used in this device and if I’ll be able to do anything useful with its firmware, but I might just give it a try.
 
I don’t own KHG, and I’m not sure what processtor it uses internally - but I might be able to find it out if anyone is willing to share the firmware with me.

I’ve read about this locking thing when I was looking for a tester for myself and it sounds ridiculous that no one has beaten it yet.

So if I can either find you a lead or patch that thing altogether It’ll both be fun for me and useful for you.

Heads up though, I’m not even sure if I’m familiar with the architecture used in this device and if I’ll be able to do anything useful with its firmware, but I might just give it a try.

Here ya go

http://cl.khguardian.com/download.html
http://www.khguardian.com/FW/_V9_3R69T9A3.BIN
Thanks!
 
I don’t own KHG, and I’m not sure what processtor it uses internally - but I might be able to find it out if anyone is willing to share the firmware with me.

I’ve read about this locking thing when I was looking for a tester for myself and it sounds ridiculous that no one has beaten it yet.

So if I can either find you a lead or patch that thing altogether It’ll both be fun for me and useful for you.

Heads up though, I’m not even sure if I’m familiar with the architecture used in this device and if I’ll be able to do anything useful with its firmware, but I might just give it a try.
lol, exactly what I was looking at doing too.
 
Any update on this gentlemen?
The solution to this problem is buy something else, like Kamoer KH Carer.
This is a sleazy practice, and they will get no more money from me.
The lack of local connection to 3rd party controller is a disappointment though.
1000002512.jpg
 
The solution to this problem is buy something else, like Kamoer KH Carer.
This is a sleazy practice, and they will get no more money from me.
The lack of local connection to 3rd party controller is a disappointment though.
1000002512.jpg
I don't like "subscription" type services that require ongoing purchases for your expensive purchase to keep working. I still purchased my KHG as soon as possible during the pre-release. The KHG is upfront about requiring a bespoke reagent. This is not different than many other testers on the market. I wouldn't call that a sleazy practice. The KHG has been out since 2016-2017 and was a first to market product. The only reason people are looking for a DIY reagent solution is to reduce operational cost. The price has never gone up on the reagent and it is available from [email protected] and ships from Texas.
I use DIY reagent in mine without issue that is basically free as one $5 bottle of acid will essentially last a lifetime. I never got upset at the pay to play business structure or thought the company was being sleazy.

To say "Just buy something else" is not exactly a helpful resolution for those that are looking for a DIY KHG reagent solution.
The KHG is leaps and bounds ahead of the KH Career in terms of capabilities. You can control anything with its relay, manage your calcium reactor with it, and like you stated; it can integrate into every other controller with a pH port.

You can buy a lot of reagent for the cost of purchasing a far less capable machine to do less. But you are correct, people could do that instead.

Best of luck with your new tester.
 
I don't like "subscription" type services that require ongoing purchases for your expensive purchase to keep working. I still purchased my KHG as soon as possible during the pre-release. The KHG is upfront about requiring a bespoke reagent. This is not different than many other testers on the market. I wouldn't call that a sleazy practice. The KHG has been out since 2016-2017 and was a first to market product. The only reason people are looking for a DIY reagent solution is to reduce operational cost. The price has never gone up on the reagent and it is available from [email protected] and ships from Texas.
I use DIY reagent in mine without issue that is basically free as one $5 bottle of acid will essentially last a lifetime. I never got upset at the pay to play business structure or thought the company was being sleazy.

To say "Just buy something else" is not exactly a helpful resolution for those that are looking for a DIY KHG reagent solution.
The KHG is leaps and bounds ahead of the KH Career in terms of capabilities. You can control anything with its relay, manage your calcium reactor with it, and like you stated; it can integrate into every other controller with a pH port.

You can buy a lot of reagent for the cost of purchasing a far less capable machine to do less. But you are correct, people could do that instead.

Best of luck with your new tester.
You must have missed that new production units CANNOT be "flash backed" to old firmware.
I've had my khg foe a bit over 2 years, and it's been great, but I test every 2 hours and have 4 systems. I won't touch Aperture with a 10ft pole. Don't see them last another few years at best. The new firmware for KHG also wastes reagent "refreshing" the probe. Completely BS to pad reagent sales. I was spending $70/mo. On lhg reagent for one machine. Over $3,000/yr. On reagnet?? heck no for me. I grow and sell coral, and I refuse to fluff pricing to compensate for bougie crap I use. It's a discretionary spending hobby that is already facing shrinkage from inflation, on top of the covid bubble winding down.
If this locking ut old firmware change wasn't made, I'd have picked up 2 more khg. The kamoer is nice, but the cloud, or BT only access is concerning. KHG did it right by allowing local access, and if you really wanted, port forwarding. I do like the new aim-s module being a bit of a prod to get people to use current FW and thier reagent. If Alex wants to sell magic KHG reagent in an affordable gallon jug, I'll maybe change my tune. For reference, I use 40 gallons a week...in top off/kalk alone.
It costs about $1/gallon per month gross for overhead on a coral aquaculture if you pinch pennies. There's a reason so so many of the people wanting to grow coral either quit, or just stick to slinging chop shop imported coral.
 
I don't like "subscription" type services that require ongoing purchases for your expensive purchase to keep working. I still purchased my KHG as soon as possible during the pre-release. The KHG is upfront about requiring a bespoke reagent. This is not different than many other testers on the market. I wouldn't call that a sleazy practice. The KHG has been out since 2016-2017 and was a first to market product. The only reason people are looking for a DIY reagent solution is to reduce operational cost. The price has never gone up on the reagent and it is available from [email protected] and ships from Texas.
I use DIY reagent in mine without issue that is basically free as one $5 bottle of acid will essentially last a lifetime. I never got upset at the pay to play business structure or thought the company was being sleazy.

To say "Just buy something else" is not exactly a helpful resolution for those that are looking for a DIY KHG reagent solution.
The KHG is leaps and bounds ahead of the KH Career in terms of capabilities. You can control anything with its relay, manage your calcium reactor with it, and like you stated; it can integrate into every other controller with a pH port.

You can buy a lot of reagent for the cost of purchasing a far less capable machine to do less. But you are correct, people could do that instead.

Best of luck with your new tester.
Kamoer can be connected to fx-stp2 with a module for control. I believe it is only on/off, so idk how that works with a calcium reactor running a bubble counter and no ph controlled solenoid. Likely not well. Kalk and 2 part in bulk NOT from reef shops is just as cheap, ans no upfront massive cost for the equipment. I do use fx-stp2 as my 2 part dosers in steady drip, so I may pick up some modules to cut alk off if needed. The 2 testers side by side are very similar. Kamoer is much easier to maintenance. There are some gripes of course. No reaction chamber float, probe calibration takes dang near 20 minutes (why???) 25ml reagent per test, so need a big reservoir. Khg, 1 gallon lasts me about 2 months, which i very much like. Kamoer does track reagent volume remaining (not sure the precision yet) so a 5 gallon bucket tucked away will be fine.
Not the same. But similar quality. The khg also finishes a test alot faster.
I will keep my old unit, but won't buy a brand new one due to the rumor of that firmware situation. I am disappointed, but business is business.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new