Anyone using a random flow generator ?

nonowt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at getting the smallest one of these ( half inch i think) for my tank and i was wondering what the lowest gph i can have and it still be able to produce a random flow ? thanks

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at getting the smallest one of these ( half inch i think) for my tank and i was wondering what the lowest gph i can have and it still be able to produce a random flow ? thanks
Thank @homer1475 for answering the questions so quick :)

@nonowt - what size tank are you wanting to put the RFG nozzle in? If it's 5-gallons or below, we do make a 1/4in RFG nozzle that has much lower flow requirements than the 1/2in RFG , and still creates a nice randomized flow. However, it is also the onyl RFG nozzle we have that you can over-flow and thus, has a MAX suggested GPH rating

ModelMinimum GPHSuggested Optimal GPHRerecorded MAX GPH
Single 1/4in RFG (RFG025 )80-100120-140225
Two 1/4in RFGs (RFG025)120-150200 - 300400

OP
OP
N

nonowt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you lads for your help @ vca i have a 100l (i think about 26 us gallons) tank with no sump ,i am using a 1200lph (317 gph i think) sump pump to run a cheto and then a rowa reactor ,Tbh i do not know the lph/gph that i have at the outlet , i have read the optermal gph for the RFG but i am hoping it would still work with a lower gph

OP
OP
N

nonowt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help , am i right in thinking your Flow Rate is 264 gph ? after the water has gone through my two reactors i am not sure my gph will be enough

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pushing as much as my overflows will allow without stacking the water too high in the display, probably ~425gph. You can see the random flow by the intermittent surface disturbance

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you lads for your help @ vca i have a 100l (i think about 26 us gallons) tank with no sump ,i am using a 1200lph (317 gph i think) sump pump to run a cheto and then a rowa reactor ,Tbh i do not know the lph/gph that i have at the outlet , i have read the optermal gph for the RFG but i am hoping it would still work with a lower gph
The RFGs will still work and randomize the flow below our "Optimal" Suggested flow rate. The Optinal rating is where we feel you get the best randomized flow for the least amount of back pressure. So, there is quite a range of flows the RFGs will work at - both above the Optimal as well as below.

The main thing that happens as you get closer to your minimum suggested flow rating is that the flow becomes more gentle and the randomziation rate slows down. If you get to the minimum or go below, it's still going to randomizes, but the flow is so gently that it's not really usable in a reeftank scenario.

With that said, we do have lots of customers with Freshwater tanks running oversized RFGs for that very reason. They like the ability to push more flow through their filtration without blowing away their more delicate aquascapes.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back