Anyone using a Reefmat 250 in a 200G2?

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas Eve! Curious is anyone is using a Reefmat 25o with good success in a Reefer 200? I am a couple of days shy of the 1 year mark in my Reefer 200. Everything seems to be thriving. Good coral growth, happy fish, no problems now and cruising along. My only concern is that my PO4 just seems to be climbing. I am not chasing numbers but don't want to head towards a problem. I have been trying to run the system simply without using any chemical media. My PO4 is now up to .24 after a water change yesterday. I don't have any algae problems. With the slowly climbing PO4 I was thinking of adding the Reefmat 250. My concern is the lousy Red Sea valve and the constant up and down water level with it. I have never been able to get it set just right after the first few months. I am constantly changing the valve setting. I know the filter socks being changed is a part of having to tweak it but does the Reefmat keep you constantly chasing the water level? What has been the experience for anyone who has used it? Thanks for the feedback.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas Eve to you.
Not quite what you asked but I have a reefer 300 G2 with a reefmat 500 and love it. I rarely have to adjust the down flow. I do adjust it occasionally but usually only because I have lifted the lid and looked at the level. The 300 G2 never gets noisy even if the level it too high or low. Well it will get noisy if the level is very low but that only happens if I cause it.
My reefer 170 1st Gen is not so great. It isn't terrible but when it does need adjusting it's get loud enough to wake me up. That tank is in the bedroom and of course it usually gets noisy in the middle of the night. I'm running reef diapers in place of socks and my PO4 is always low but I also dose TM Bacto balance and brightwell Microbactor 7 daily so I can't say if the diapers are actually helping but they are removing much more than the mesh redsea socks I was using. I should mention that PO4 stays low in the reefer 300 but I'm also dosing that tank BB and zeobak twice a week.

I'm normal against adding chems. I don't really consider what I'm dosing as chemicals as it's more a form of carbon dosing and adding bacteria. But my larger system (220ish total volume) runs PO4 at 0.4-0.6. I put a couple of spoons of GFO in my carbon reactor and change it out ever 3-4 weeks. The carbon helps the water stay clear and the little bit of gfo helps keep PO4 from going over 0.6. Not sure if going higher would hurt anything but I've kind of set 0.6 as the max I want and the tank has never been healthier. No roller in that tank just more dirty diapers

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back