Anyone using Profilux connected to grounded power socket?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Is there anyone else with a Profilux controller powered up from ungrounded socket?

I have recently purchased Profilux 4 Mega Set, all seems to work as expected, except for the conductivity probe, which measures weather on the moon - the reading swings anywhere in the 0.99 to 1.035 water density range, which makes it absolutely useless. The same drift is there even when the probe is outside the tank (completely insulated from water and far away from wires or motors), immersed in calibration solution.

After spending some time with GHL support, they suggested that this is because my Profilux power supply is connected to ungrounded power socket, and that is a must for the sensors to work properly. Well, nowhere on GHL website or in the Profilux manual is written, that a grounded power connection is a must, they only mention grounding for safety reasons.

I do not have a proper grounding connection in my house, and it will take a significant expense and time to bring a grounding line to the apartment. Before I invest into this I would like to make sure that this is going to work, or if anyone else faced a similar issue and grounding helped, or if there are people with ungrounded power connection, but the conductivity probe works for them properly.

Would be grateful for any inputs on the subject!

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try plugging it into a spot on your powerbar and set that outlet’s default to always on if the powerbar loses connection. See if that’ll work

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Is there anyone else with a Profilux controller powered up from ungrounded socket?

I have recently purchased Profilux 4 Mega Set, all seems to work as expected, except for the conductivity probe, which measures weather on the moon - the reading swings anywhere in the 0.99 to 1.035 water density range, which makes it absolutely useless. The same drift is there even when the probe is outside the tank (completely insulated from water and far away from wires or motors), immersed in calibration solution.

After spending some time with GHL support, they suggested that this is because my Profilux power supply is connected to ungrounded power socket, and that is a must for the sensors to work properly. Well, nowhere on GHL website or in the Profilux manual is written, that a grounded power connection is a must, they only mention grounding for safety reasons.

I do not have a proper grounding connection in my house, and it will take a significant expense and time to bring a grounding line to the apartment. Before I invest into this I would like to make sure that this is going to work, or if anyone else faced a similar issue and grounding helped, or if there are people with ungrounded power connection, but the conductivity probe works for them properly.

Would be grateful for any inputs on the subject!

Not sticking up for GHL here but ungrounded receptacles were outlawed in the early sixties for new construction.

How do you deal with most modern appliances? cut the ground off or use an adaptor? I am not going to offer suggestions here on how to find a ground reference, but with a bit of thought you can.

On a side note I would suggest GFCI receptacles be installed for safety.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you live , that the Owner, hasn’t been made to upgrade the electrical on the rental property? It was back in the late 80’s all the jurisdictions, made properties upgrade, around here. Also, just to let you know, it is illegal to ground to a water pipe in a lot of areas.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Also, just to let you know, it is illegal to ground to a water pipe in a lot of areas.
I want to clarify this. The water system can’t but used as the primary grounding means, but MUST be bonded to the electrical system. Nuanced, yes. There MUST be ground rods driven,

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that perplexed me on Grounding. We had our Bath remodeled and kept the existing Whirlpool tub. All the pipe in the house is Pex or PVC. Had to install a Ground Wire going to a separate ground rod in basement, bonding all touchable metal in the tub.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that perplexed me on Grounding. We had our Bath remodeled and kept the existing Whirlpool tub. All the pipe in the house is Pex or PVC. Had to install a Ground Wire going to a separate ground rod in basement, bonding all touchable metal in the tub.
La Plata as in Argentina or La Plata, Missouri?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
La Plata, Maryland
Didn't even know that it existed ;)

I have no idea who your AHJ is or what the actual setup is, but NEC does not allow (unless somebody can cite me the exception) a separate ground rod for any fixture. All grounds need to be bonded to the same common ground rod(s). Otherwise, you end up with ground look conditions.

Just because somebody is an inspector or has authority, does not mean that they interpret code correctly. I have some some some absolutely insane interpretations over the years. The reality is that if you argue with the inspector, or go over his head, you likely open up a can of retaliation that you will not be able to put the lid back on easily. You may win the battle, but are in for a hard road ahead.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back