Anyone using this Refractometer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RaymondL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have that one, use it when my electronic one is spitting out the wrong # to double check it, then I recalibrate it. It is a tad hard to read but that’s my only complaint with the Amazon one
 
I have one that looks identical, but I bought it 25ish years ago so I can’t say it’s the exact same one. I just use it to double check my digital refractometer periodically but I’ve never had an issue with it. Just make sure you have a bright light above you when you read it and it should be fine.
Also, make sure to buy/make some calibration solution to verify it’s readings.
 
Thanks - do you find the reading between the electronic reader vs this particular refractometer give the same result otherwise?
 
I have one that looks identical, but I bought it 25ish years ago so I can’t say it’s the exact same one. I just use it to double check my digital refractometer periodically but I’ve never had an issue with it. Just make sure you have a bright light above you when you read it and it should be fine.
Also, make sure to buy/make some calibration solution to verify it’s readings.
Thanks - I should be able just to use distilled water to calibrate no?
 
Thanks - do you find the reading between the electronic reader vs this particular refractometer give the same result otherwise?
They are pretty much the same 99% of the time. That cheap one on Amazon holds it calibration better than my Hana electronic one. I just have a hard time reading the manual one.
 
Thanks - I should be able just to use distilled water to calibrate no?
Within reason I get the same reading with my Milwaukee digital refractometer and my old school optical refractometer. I won’t say there isn’t the occasion where one will be 1.026 and the other will be 1.025.

No you want to calibrate an optical refractometer at close to the value that you’ll be testing for. You can buy some solution, or with some cheap kitchen scales, some rodi water, and table salt you can just make your own.
 
That's the one I have been using for five years now. Works good, easy to calibrate.
 
I had that same one. Absolute trash. Constant swings. Constantly needed calibration and you have to calibrate to a certain room temp.

I got a Milwaukee and have never looked back.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new