Anyone want to come here and trim sponge?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spent an hour cutting sponges off my corals and I have the stuff growing all over the place. I do this every few months and it is time consuming but kind of relaxing. I need to do it because if I don't, instead of a reef, I would have a sponge farm.

So if you are bored or like delicate kind of work, let me know.
I am out east on the north fork of Long Island New York. That is in the US so if you are in India, South Africa or Bayonne New Jersey, this may be a trip.

If anyone wants to help me do this, I will give you a nice piece of a very old gorgonian from this piece.

Here is the sponge I trimmed just now.
Sponge.jpg

When I trim it, my brittle stars spawn all over the tank.
Brittle stars.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I get that. :) It's very delicate work, especially cutting around coral branches.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shucks... If only it wasn't going to rain this weekend... And it wasn't a 15 hour plus drive. Awesome tank though. It would be a privilege to see it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give you all the sponge you want. But it is invasive and will grow over you at night. :oops:

I actually collected about 30 brittle stars from the collected sponge and threw them back in my tank. I think I have 13, 473, 287 of them.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges do not get the attention they deserve. I scuba dive and sponges are one of the most noticeable things on a reef. Sponges come in all kinds and colors. There are encrusting sponges, rope sponges, glass sponges, and so on. There are lovely azure vase sponges. In the Caribbean, there are the loggerhead sponges which grow about .5 inches a year. I have seen massive ones of over 12’ tall and 6’ across which must be hundreds of years old.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges do not get the attention they deserve. I scuba dive and sponges are one of the most noticeable things on a reef.
They get a lot of attention in my tank and are the most noticeable thing I have. ;Meh

Here around this "ship wreck" I have to put in as it was a gift from my Grand Kids is all sponge. I probably have 5 lbs of the stuff.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will definitely take you up on that offer the next time I am visiting the family on long Island!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back