Anyone with an AI Blade (Grow/Glow) have thoughts on it?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone with these lights and some use under their belts recommend them? I have 3 AI Prime 16’s under one of my tanks and 2 on two of them, the UV channel has blown out (out of warranty) and I have had them for a few years so sort of looking for something new and I like the passive cooling solution.

was thinking 2x grow and 1x glow. I prefer more lights at less intensity approach so I’m sure I could get away with just 2 instead of 3.

Anyone with them like them/don’t like them? Thoughts? Have you noticed a difference?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they are really new lights. I know BRS is pushing these pretty hard but i dont know what makes them so impressive over anything else. There was a couple bad reviews as far as build quality went.

What corals are you keeping and what do you want out of new lights?

I run 4xt5 bulbs with 2 xr15's over my 70 and I couldnt be happier.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they are really new lights. I know BRS is pushing these pretty hard but i dont know what makes them so impressive over anything else. There was a couple bad reviews as far as build quality went.

What corals are you keeping and what do you want out of new lights?

I run 4xt5 bulbs with 2 xr15's over my 70 and I couldnt be happier.
What I liked about them is that they are low form factor (tank is in a main part of the house and it’s very sleek/modern looking). The primes also get a little noisy with the fans so the passive cooling is appealing.
I also love the primes and the LED look (controversial I know) and I run a somewhat complex light schedule that works for me (custom variation of the Saxby settings) and have been happy with AI’s products.

Greenfishguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jumped the gun and have 2 30" grows on the HMS mounts. They were really easy to connect to bot the AI and Mobius app, Like the above post said they look really nice and they seem to be good for my needs (mostly softies and a few LPS). I haven't had them long enough to give any feedback about coral growth, but so far so good.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quite like them. I have one (30 inch) for my 29 gallon and it covers every part of the tank. They get a little warm but thats if you run them at a higher wattage and I think the person who said that they get hot was probably running them above 20 watts (I believe where I feel they do get warm but I can test). I only use like 7 watts max since they are bright. Build quality is better than anything I've ever had. A really low profile too but the only complaint I have is that it seems to have a gradience between the warmer colors and blue but its ok looking.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them, but they do run hot at higher percentages, I run at about 60% over a frag tank. I honestly think they're a bit pricey for what they are, but if your goal is a sleek light for display, they can fit that bill quite well.
They are pricey! Quality seems really good though.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I liked about them is that they are low form factor (tank is in a main part of the house and it’s very sleek/modern looking). The primes also get a little noisy with the fans so the passive cooling is appealing.
I also love the primes and the LED look (controversial I know) and I run a somewhat complex light schedule that works for me (custom variation of the Saxby settings) and have been happy with AI’s products.
Do you use the ai app for your light schedule?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running 2 grow. At 98%. They do get a bit warm but don’t think it’s an issue. But they do suffer from the apparent blade issue of being more white to one side or blue to one side. There’s a thread here about it. But even so. Good little lights. Growing acros under them just fine

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any light placed directly on the center brace will melt it. Especially a high power LED.

I switched from halides to Blades and don’t regret it at all. Consumption is up and pH is going up from the extra photosynthesis taking place.

I’ve tested and/or used almost every major LED and there Blades are the first I’ve been truly impressed with

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I quite like them. I have one (30 inch) for my 29 gallon and it covers every part of the tank. They get a little warm but thats if you run them at a higher wattage and I think the person who said that they get hot was probably running them above 20 watts (I believe where I feel they do get warm but I can test). I only use like 7 watts max since they are bright. Build quality is better than anything I've ever had. A really low profile too but the only complaint I have is that it seems to have a gradience between the warmer colors and blue but its ok looking.
ok thanks -- yeah, I was thinking about 2 grow alternating directions to help with that issue. I am in the "more lights, lower intensity" club personally. Do you have just the grow? Do you feel the fluorescence pops enough on them?
I like them, but they do run hot at higher percentages, I run at about 60% over a frag tank. I honestly think they're a bit pricey for what they are, but if your goal is a sleek light for display, they can fit that bill quite well.
yeah I know, I (unfortunately) don't mind spending $$ for quality, especially with this hobby and several thousand $$ worth of corals growing and things.
Do you use the ai app for your light schedule?
yup! works fine for me and never really had an issue.
Any light placed directly on the center brace will melt it. Especially a high power LED.

I switched from halides to Blades and don’t regret it at all. Consumption is up and pH is going up from the extra photosynthesis taking place.

I’ve tested and/or used almost every major LED and there Blades are the first I’ve been truly impressed with
good to hear! how do you run them (grow/glow?), %%, what about your mounting situation?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok thanks -- yeah, I was thinking about 2 grow alternating directions to help with that issue. I am in the "more lights, lower intensity" club personally. Do you have just the grow? Do you feel the fluorescence pops enough on them?

yeah I know, I (unfortunately) don't mind spending $$ for quality, especially with this hobby and several thousand $$ worth of corals growing and things.

yup! works fine for me and never really had an issue.

good to hear! how do you run them (grow/glow?), %%, what about your mounting situation?

Currently 2 Grow, 1 Glow, and 2 XHO Actinic. I will replace the XHOs with another Glow and Grow as funds permit. I don’t need 5 but want 5 lol.

I’ll grab some screenshots of my settings and post them

E74968A4-ECC9-450A-9C1D-A3C736BCF4B1.jpeg

Hatuey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been researching myself as I’m thinking between the Blades and the Photon V2 Pro. I’ve been hearing really good things about the blades just as what’s listed above.
however what worries me is this:
-Primes are currently on sale (feels related to marketing Blades, and not sure why that makes me uncomfortable)
-Still too new to get real feedback from customers
-Similar to the Primes, Blades have a heating issue.
-Worried about the heavy marketing from the major influencers drowning the products authentic reviews.

Still waiting for my tank to arrive and know I got months away from having to make a decision.

Going to follow! Please keep us posted.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been researching myself as I’m thinking between the Blades and the Photon V2 Pro. I’ve been hearing really good things about the blades just as what’s listed above.
however what worries me is this:
-Primes are currently on sale (feels related to marketing Blades, and not sure why that makes me uncomfortable)
-Still too new to get real feedback from customers
-Similar to the Primes, Blades have a heating issue.
-Worried about the heavy marketing from the major influencers drowning the products authentic reviews.

Still waiting for my tank to arrive and know I got months away from having to make a decision.

Going to follow! Please keep us posted.

What makes you say the Blades have a heating issue?

Hatuey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you say the Blades have a heating issue?
I’ve been reading reviews on this product and have seen more than a couple of people comment on it having heating issues.
Still on the market looking to see what’s the most optimal for me.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back