Anyone with FMK or any of the flow sensors on their tank?

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've liked to add some flow sensors to my tank. I've had my eye on them for awhile; but the low reviews on BRS have scared me off. Anyone have any experience with these. It seems like the most common complaints it that it restricts flow. One user mentioned his 4700gph pump was only getting 1200gph after he put the 2" flow sensor on.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to tell. I am using the 1" flow sensor and am happy with it. After reading about where people have had problems, I tried to take what sounded credible as advice. For example, I have the flow sensor on the return pump tank return instead of the tank outlet into the sump. My return water is clean compared to the debris from the tank. I never tried to manually test the flow and then compare it to the sensor, I don't feel the need to, I am happy with what I am seeing.

I think I read the same review as you on BRS regarding the 4,700gph, who was only getting 1200gph. I have no reason to doubt this person, but there could have been a lot of things to impact that. The 2" sensor is rated at a maximum of 3,000gph. There could be bends and other things that restrict flow in that system; the sensor could have been getting debris, but it is hard to tell.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have wanted to add one for a long time but honestly have not found anything positive said about it from reducing to flow to requiring constant maintenance to keep it working properly so I have put that in "stuff not to buy from Neptune along with the DDR lol)

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 x one inch flow sensors in my setup. One is measuring output from the UV and the other is measuring the return flow. I've had them running for a little over a year now and and I'm very happy with the results. I think they are a must if you need to know flow rates (such as through a UV).

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several of them running on my system, a 2" on the UV, a couple of 1/4" to monitor various flows. I've been happy with the results but I don't use them for measuring precise flow just change over time. Seems like I have to clean them about once a year or so. My 2" is reading way lower than I expected but maybe its right? I just look for change.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back